windows runs fine but PartitionMagic cant see disk

Andrew-229954 14:11 12 Jul 2003

Well here's hoping for a brainy browser who feels patient...

I have a triple boot system with W98 W2000 & Linux all accessible via BootMagic. With W98 & W2000, when one is running, the partition of the other is 'hidden' so each thinks it is the only C: partition and can see the remaining partitions (with consistent lettering). All three op sys are accessible and run jolly well. There is a second hard disk with a current back-up of my data (ooh those lucky stars!) and out-of-date (damn)DriveImage back-ups of the W98 & W2000 partitions.

My problem is that when I ran DriveImage5 this morning it said there were partitioning errors on the first (system) hard disk and mended them for me ...then failed, and ever since has insisted that the entire primary disk is one 'bad' partition. I am keen to regain use of DriveImage5 & PartitionMagic6 but they each refuse to start because the whole disk is 'bad'. But the whole machine runs perfectly!!!

I've run thorough drive repairs with SystemSuite4 which found no errors. I've done "FDISK /MBR" from dos. I've tried reinstalling each or both, on W98 &/or W2000, using reescue floppies or original CD, but the situation remains. I've tried the download demo of PartMagic8 which still reports the error.

Any suggestions warmly welcome (if they are not to direct a disk format )

Regards
Andrew.

crx1600 14:42 12 Jul 2003

PM should give an error number, which you can then check against this list click here for a possible solution.

Andrew-229954 10:27 13 Jul 2003

thanks for tip... Get two error codes (108 and 183[Win2000]) which I now know tie in with idea of dodgy details in partition table or corrupted spec for the disk. Have submitted PartInfo data to Powerquest, but am not expecting reply as the software versions are elderly! Windows still trundling happily along, completely unaware that it's partition is missing...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?