windows root system 32

hvs 16:14 03 Jul 2007

Dell inspiron 6400. After a windows auto update I get this message Windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe error. It requires the missing file. I did not get the os on a cd or any other recovery cd either. I have contacted Dell who say that they will post the cd's to me and that it will take a week.Does anyone have an answer to this problem?
Thanks

oldbeefer2 17:46 03 Jul 2007

The answer could well be the CD the Dell are posting to you! (I had a similar problem with my daughter's laptop after an update - recovery CD has cured it (after a few hicoughs)).

hvs 09:18 04 Jul 2007

Thanks for your reply. I wait in anticipation for the cd's to arrive. Hope it does not take too long.When I ordered the laptop the invoice came with the os itemised and I was astonished to see that when it arrived no cd's came with it. I did phone Dell but of course not having a problem at that time it wasn't an issue.

oldbeefer2 09:51 04 Jul 2007

If you get stuck I had some useful responses here.
click here

hvs 23:04 04 Jul 2007

Just received the cd's this afternoon. Lost all the photos and music etc as I had to do a complete reinstall etc. At least it is up and running now. Lesson learnt, always back up!
Thanks for your help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?