Windows Registry scan causes blue screen

QuizMan 20:41 17 Oct 2006

Currently running a desktop PC XP Pro SP2 with security of avast AV, hardware firewall via router, plus Windows firewall.

Don't know if I'm being paranoid because PC appears to functioning normally, but recently whenever I run checks on the registry such as System Mechanic or RegSeeker, my system crashes shortly after scanning commences with a blue screen message "a problem has been detected & Windows has been shut down to prevent change to your computer". It refers to a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area and a series of hex numbers starting 0x00000050. I've googled these numbers without anything obvious matching my problem.

So far I've carried out a full AV scan with avast plus full scans by Spybot and Adaware SE without anything being picked up. Also there's nothing unexpected in Task Manager.

As I say, the system appears to function normally, but my paranoia wonders if anything is sitting in the registry that doesn't want to be found. But until I can scan it without crashing, I'm a bit stuck to know what to do. Any ideas please?

VoG II 20:45 17 Oct 2006

click here

I stress *possibly*.

QuizMan 21:06 17 Oct 2006

Gosh, there's a fair bit of work involved if this really is the problem. One for the weekend maybe. However, I'm not yet convinced because the hex numbers referred to do not correspond apart from the initial 0x00000050.

Let's see if others have further thoughts on the matter before I take the plunge, but I appreciate your speedy response, VoG™.

QuizMan 16:35 21 Oct 2006

I'm convinced that VoG™'s recommendation is not the problem. In fact I'm not sure that there is a problem, except that the registry definitely does NOT like being searched and I always get a blue screen if I do. But when I use internet banking and order good online, I do not like to think that something might be lurking in the bushes looking at my personal details.

Any other ideas please?

GaT7 17:08 21 Oct 2006

Have you tried a system restore? How far back you should go depends on when the problem began. G

QuizMan 17:34 21 Oct 2006

Crossbow7 - thank you. I can go back to 3 Oct. I shall give it a try and if it doesn't work, I'll revert back to the current state of play.

I'll post again in a while with the result.

GaT7 17:42 21 Oct 2006

More 0x00000050 error links if system restore doesn't work: click here, click here, click here & click here. G

QuizMan 17:57 21 Oct 2006

Crossbow7 - Sadly no joy with system restore. Still getting blue screen. Will have a look at your links now.

QuizMan 18:19 21 Oct 2006

I can quickly disregard all but the 2nd link. I've studied that one in more detail, but I've searched for possible spyware in the manner that Microsoft descibes and I am now confident that it is not the source of my problem. Nice try though Crossbow7.

VoG II 18:22 21 Oct 2006

Just out of interest does RegscrubXP also crash? click here

QuizMan 19:51 21 Oct 2006

Interestingly VoG™, no it doesn't. So many thanks for the link. It's found 107 registry problems. I've not used this program before. What's your experience of it? If I simply ask it to fix them all, am I likely to run into further problems?

Perhaps I should set a resore point before going further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?