Windows Recovery Virus on Windows Xp

swapper 08:07 28 Dec 2013

WinXPpro, SP3 It seems that I have the "Windows Recovery" virus onto my PC. After the "Windows Recovery" window appearing, I am now getting a continuing reboot.

I have XP CD I can reboot to that drive using F11. I "press any key to start from CD" "Windows Setup" appears and load files "Welcome to setup" appears I press enter "To set up Windows XP now, press enter" I press F8 to agree License "The following list shows the existing Partitions etc" appears I select C: Partition unknown 59734 MB (59733 MB free)

But...the only options at the bottom of the screen are:- Enter=Install. "ESC=Cancel"

I was expecting to see "R=Repair" .

Has anyone any idea where I am going wrong. the funny(?) thing is that I am almost reaching the stage to move to Window 8 on a new machine but I obviously want my files.

Thanks in hope.

The Kestrel 08:20 28 Dec 2013

This link may help you:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:19 28 Dec 2013

After the "Windows Recovery" window appearing, I am now getting a continuing reboot.

Do you have the virus or do you have a problem with your machine that requires a Windows repair?

In cases like these I normally boot the machine with a live linux CD and recover the files I need before attempting to repair windows.

Secret-Squirrel 09:55 28 Dec 2013

A System Restore in Safe Mode is the first thing I'd try for infections like yours.

swapper 21:21 28 Dec 2013

Secret-Squirrel I'm afraid that I cannot get into the PC at all! I'm now using a laptop.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ I'll have a shot at this first n(live linux cd), but do you think that what I have already tried was the corect method?

Thanks to you both

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:13 29 Dec 2013

Yes what you have done so far is correct

sounds like XP boot files are corrupt and the CD cannot find XP on the drive hence no repair option DO NOT proceed further with the XP CD option of Enter - install or it will overwrite your drive, see warning 2 here

The site also offers some things to try to get XP back.

But get those important files off before doing anything else.

1]: [click here

swapper 19:14 29 Dec 2013

Thanks Fruit Bat/\0/\,

I realised that "My Documents" with My Music and My Pictures were on a seperate drive, and I had copied My Docs to an external drive as a back up, how lucky was that. So I rightly/wrongly thought that it would only be the "C" drive that would be causing problems. After browsing for many hours this morning, and trying much, I took a chance, using the Winxp CD went to Recovery R, eventually got into DOS, used the Help option to examine the choices like chkdsk, fixmbr and other stuff like that, I am now back to normal. I'm now making up my mind to reformat the lot, and install Win 8.1 or Linux Mint! (or both). But thank you for your help as usual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?