Windows re-install and cable broadband...help.

vaughan007 21:20 10 Jun 2004

Hello everyone,

First of all you should know this...

Windows XP Home, Blueyonder broadband connected through a cable modem and NIC. Its a Medion PC.

I want to re-install windows xp as my pc is gradually starting to run slower than it used to because over the last couple of years I have had loads of software installed like games, etc.

My hard drive is also full of old files that I dont want anymore...you know how it is.

I think the easiest thing to do is just a full windows restore using the product recovery cd to take me back to the days when the pc was new.

Firstly, is a full restore as easy in xp as what it used to be in win 98 and 95? (eg. stick the cd in, select full restore and leave it alone for a bit.)

Secondly, how can I get my cable broadband up and running again after the full restore?

Finally, anything else I should know?

Cheers.

:-)

VoG II 21:24 10 Jun 2004

Didn't you get a CD from Blueyonder when it was installed. Or the Instand Support CD?

Fruit Bat 21:27 10 Jun 2004

XP should restore as you say but you will lose drivers for speacalist equipment as BB modem. if you have drivers on cd/ disk that came with equip then no prob, however if no CD/ disks then use device manager to show drivers then copy driver files to another partion or cd /floppy before doing restore.

/\0/\

VoG II 21:32 10 Jun 2004

Instant Support Tool click here - download and save to CD.

vaughan007 23:14 10 Jun 2004

Fruit Bat...Yes I know i will lose all the drivers...I was going to do as you say and save them to cd before doing the full restore.

VoG...I have the blueyonder instant support tool. I assume that if I run this and follow the instructions it will simply set up my broadband connection for me?

VoG II 23:18 10 Jun 2004

Yes the Instant Support Tool will do this. However, you may not even need it. Once you have reformatted and re-installed all drivers your PC should have the same MAC address and BY should recognise it.

nyleridedog 01:51 11 Jun 2004

blueyonder no longer requires you to register mac address!
its just plug an play now

sound

vaughan007 02:13 11 Jun 2004

Thanks for that everyone!

So I dont have to register the mac address...which is good.

One last thing...

Do i need to release my ip address before re-installing windows? Or is there no need to do that.

Cheers.

nyleridedog 02:23 11 Jun 2004

no when you switch off yer pc, the ip is auto released!

helenS 12:11 11 Jun 2004

If your cable modem from BY is connected via network card like mine, then winxp will auto find the card and your modem will work fine.

HelenS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone