Windows protection fault

Dumble452 09:02 26 May 2004

Having reformatted my hard drive and attempted to reinstall Windows 98se OEM on my old computer I followed this thread with interest click here
Followed this advice to the letter and everything went well until Windows prepared to run for the first time. Then I got the dreaded "Windows protection fault. You need to restart your computer" Windows then starts in Safe mode and tells me that it cannot configure my hardware in safe mode. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lozzy 09:17 26 May 2004

Sounds to me there was a corruption during the installation. My suggestion re format and re install or you will have probs

Dumble452 09:33 26 May 2004

I've tried that. Will try again. Watch out for flying computer!

Dumble452 11:09 26 May 2004

Still getting the Windows protection error. Checked system files in safe mode and setupx.dll is missing. Tried to extract using startup disk but get message "cannot open Win98. cab4" I should say that my knowledge of DOS is poor and what I did know once I have probably forgotten

Dumble452 15:43 26 May 2004

Well I got there in the end. No idea how. Took the Windows 98 disk out and put in the update CD and it suddenly decided to work for a living. Close escape, after 9 hrs, loads of fags, I'd even started on the vino tinto! The wheelie bin looked very tepmpting. Will now start a new thread, still have an outstanding problem.

Dumble452 15:47 26 May 2004

That should have read tempting. The vino is obviously working

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires