Windows protection error and AVG(?)

trefor 11:45 05 Dec 2006

On switching on my computer (Windows Me)I get a "Windows protection error. You have to restart your computer. System halted" message. The computer then starts in Safe Mode. I have run msconfig and turned everything off and the computer starts normally but with nothing in the Sys Tray as expected. I then open AVG Free manually before accessing the internet. However on updating the Email Scanner is deactivated. I have uninstalled AVG and installed the new versoion but the problem remains. If I run msconfig again and deselect the AVG boxes before shutting down I can reboot again OK. Any ideas?

vinnyT 13:24 05 Dec 2006

Try a diff av prog;

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (not sure if it supports ME, you'll have to dload the manual to check), click here

avast! 4 Home Edition (does support ME), click here

Both of the above are free for home/non-commecial use.

trefor 20:22 05 Dec 2006

Thanks, I'll try one of them. I've uninstalled AVG but on the Start Up tab in msconfig there are still entries for AVG. How do I get rid of them? Should I use the Clenup button?

trefor 19:20 18 Dec 2006

Turned out to have nothing to do with AVG! After a lot of trial and error it was a corrupted ethernet card driver. Upgraded the driver and all is well

vinnyT 11:22 19 Dec 2006

Great, thanks for the update, may help someone else someday.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?