WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR

THOMASIO 21:29 17 Dec 2003

A friend of mine is having trouble with his desktop. He uses windows 98. On boot up he gets a message WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. You need to restart your computer press any key to continue ... when he presses a key the computer switches off . on restart it goes into safemode. When he restarts it goes to the WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR notice again. He has reinstalled the operating system 3 times and still has the problem. Any advise would be appreciated. He is able to view the pcadvisor website himself.

LeadingMNMs 21:37 17 Dec 2003

Was the OS installed again or was a full format of the drive done and then the OS installed ?

VoG II 21:40 17 Dec 2003

Start click here

THOMASIO 21:44 17 Dec 2003

The drive was not reformatted and the operating system was reloaded to the end of the installation, the desktop did not appear but error message reappeared.

Taran 21:47 17 Dec 2003

You can get this for a whole load of reasons from faulted hadware through to missing or correupt files after uninstalling or reinstalling software.

Try this link for some possible ideas - it's the Microsoft page for troubleshooting Windows Protection Errors.

click here

Some of the steps detailed can be quite complex so if you are unsure of things, bounce them around in here before attempting them.

Taran 21:48 17 Dec 2003

Obviously VoG types faster than I do and I really should remember to refresh the page BEFORE posting...

;o)

Gongoozler 21:50 17 Dec 2003

THOMASIO, If your friend can start his computer in Safe Mode, then it should be possible to find what is causing the problem. The error must be caused by some software that is loaded at startup, so by disabling all unnecessary Startup items, hopefully the computer will boot ok. Your friend can then re-enable the startup items one at a time until he finds the offending item. First empty the recycle bin. Then do to Start - Programs - Startup, and delete anythin there (the reason for emptying the recycle bin is that anything deleted at this stage can then be easily identified and restored). This operation alone may identify the culprit, but more likely the next stage will be necessary.

Go to Start - Run, type in msconfig and click the OK button. Click on the Startup tab. Note all the ticked items in the list. Don't untick TaskMonitor, SystemTray or either instance of LoadPowerProfile. Click on OK, reboot the computer and see if you get the error message. If you don't, retick the boxes one at a time, rebooting each time to see if you get the error message. If you are in any doubt, post the list of items here. If this doesn't cure the problem, it is quite likely that a driver is causing the problem, and it will be necessary to remove them, and install updated ones.

THOMASIO 22:19 17 Dec 2003

Thanks guys for all your advise. Unfortunately my pal up in Aberdeen is unable to access the pc advisor website at the moment on his laptop as it keeps rejecting his email address and password for some reason I will pass on all your suggestions Thank you all.

niknax 22:30 17 Dec 2003

exactly the same thing happened to me when i tried to install 512mb of ram into win86se!! which you do not do! put the old 256 back in booted no problem!! might help

Nicola

THOMASIO 14:19 20 Dec 2003

Thanks to you guys this problem is now resolved. On being referred to the Microsoft Website it revealed that the problem was a faulty keyboard,
Many thanks,THOMASIO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?