Windows profile access problem on second drive

Thelegend 16:47 23 Jul 2009

Hello good people.
I have been running Windows XP on my PC using one hard drive. I had my own profile with a password. Foolishly I managed to pick up a virus which has caused all sorts of problems to the point that my profile wouldn't load, it would just stay on the 'loading your personal settings' and go no further. I have now managed to load windows onto a second drive and have been steadily scanning the initial hard drive to rid the pesky viruses. I want to back up certain important files on that hard drive as soon as possible though and have loaded Nero on the new drive to do this (as it's worked well in the past for me). However I am unable to access my documents on that old hard drive as Windows and nero tell me that access is denied. Any ideas as to how to get into it please???
Many thanks in anticipation.
Adam

johndrew 17:05 23 Jul 2009

I think you should boot in `Safe Mode` to access the security tab and take ownership, then follow the advice here click here unless you are running XP Pro. Or perhaps this click here is better.

Thelegend 21:37 23 Jul 2009

Absolutely first class!! Quick response and solved my issue. If only i'd thought of that! Many many thanks to you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?