Windows product key

hargranules 12:04 13 Jan 2006

I have just repaired a pc using a friends windows xp upgrade cd. The computer is now running through set - up and asking for the product key.

My friend who lent me the cd is now trying to find it. But I just read something on the web about windows expiring after a certain amount of time. Anyone have any ideas how long. The pc has been waiting since last night.

Can I use any program like Belkin, key cracker to find the key, whilst it is in the middle of set up?

Devil Fish 12:09 13 Jan 2006

due to site policy information on cracks or how to crack cannot be given

hargranules 12:12 13 Jan 2006

Can you tell me how long I have before it wipes windows I am really panicking

recap 12:12 13 Jan 2006

Your Product Key should be on the PC casing. You should not use someone else's Product Key. I think you have 14 days in which to register, but like I say "I think" maybe some one else will correct me on that one.

Skyver 12:14 13 Jan 2006

30 days to activate.

hargranules 12:14 13 Jan 2006

the cd is in a different case. so no product key. if it's 14 days he should find it by then

recap 12:22 13 Jan 2006

Sorry hargranules, it's the casing on the PC I was meaning. Usually the manufacturer places this on the left side of the tower casing. It should have a green header on it, saying Windows XP...

hargranules 12:24 13 Jan 2006

The pc I am mending had a tiny restore / back - up cd that was corrupt. So I used a friends version of windows upgrade to repair the pc. But I cannot use the product key on top of the pc now because it says not valid with cd.

PaulB2005 13:57 13 Jan 2006

The key will only work with the original restore disk and not the upgrade disc.

You'll need a new Retail copy of XP for the PC.

hargranules 16:31 14 Jan 2006

Product key worked fine once found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?