Windows Product activation After 6 years????

compumac 09:38 28 Feb 2010

I have a PC that is now six years old. In that time I had a new hard disc after 1 year and a new graphics card after 4 years. This morning on booting up a message came up
" Windows Product Activation - Since Windows was first activated on this computer the hardware has changed signiicantly. Do you wish to reactivate Windows now? Windows must be reactivated within three days"
I selected No as I am suspicious of this message as nothing has changed in the last twelve months.
I did have a multifunction printer/scanner unit as well as a standalone scanner attached until last night when I removed the standalone scanner. I cannot believe that that this has any bearing whatsoever on the situation but is just coinicidental.
Does anyone have any input on this?

johndrew 10:07 28 Feb 2010

If you download and run XPinfo click here you will be able to see what your activation was based on and whether it is still valid.

It is also possible that your WPA.dbl file has become corrupt. If this is the case and you have kept a copy you can delete/move/rename the existing item and replace it.

Failing the above, you will need to follow the screen prompts to re-activate.

compumac 21:47 28 Feb 2010

johndrew
Thanks for input. Followed your advice and all now tickety-boo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

5 best 3D model websites

iPhone 8 vs iPhone X

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache