Windows opening and closing again

Buffy101 08:30 15 Apr 2004

I have a laptop running windows XP. When I try to open install/uninstall programs, it opens and shuts quickly :o( same for a few others in the control panel. I tried to reinstall windows from the CD again but still seems to be happening - can anyone help?

anon1 10:01 15 Apr 2004

Now your heading says windows opening and closing but the problem seems to be control panel related. Do you get any error messages?

AndySD 10:03 15 Apr 2004

First try an up to date virus scan (if your virus program is out of date or you dont have one there is free online scan click here } next run either AdAware click here or spybot click here now try running the System File Checker...

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

Buffy101 23:32 16 Apr 2004

Hi Andy, did all the you said and still when I try to open, for instance add and remove programs, it opens and shuts down immediately
:o((( I've also installed spybot and ran the program, which it did find some things. I removed them but its still same. I wondered if anything to do with a web window that keeps launching as soon as I get onto the internet click here even tho I try to get rid of it by setting the default back to blank or summut. Also I put the windows xp cd in as you said - no joy :o(((( Can you think of anything else?

gudgulf 23:46 16 Apr 2004

Try downloading coolweb shredder from click here

That pop up window suggests that there is definitely something on your system which you don't want!

What av/firewall sotware are you running?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?