Windows only - shortcut

johndrew 15:17 27 May 2006

I remember seeing, in PCA, a keypress to allow only windows to start on boot. It suppressed all other programs in the Start Up folder as I remember. Unfortunately I have been unable to either remember it or find it again.

Please can anyone help with the the Key input to achieve this. I am having difficulties with Acronis and should like to try making an image of my boot partition with only Windows and Acronis running. Currently the only way I can achieve an image is by using the Emergency Disk and this takes some 4 hours.

Many thanks in anticipation.

crosstrainer 15:22 27 May 2006

Hi john are you thinking about starting in safe mode?

johndrew 15:51 27 May 2006

Thanks for responding.

No, I can start in Safe Mode but it still leaves me with programs other than Windows running. I want to stop (or rather, not start) all programs other than Windows.

If you click here look here, you can see the sort of problems I, and others, have had. I was hoping that if nothing other than Windows and Acronis were running that when I validate the file it wont be corrupt as it currently is. I can produce `good` files by booting from the rescue disk but it takes forever and even then it is not possible to produce a complete disk (in my case 1 disk, 2 partitions) in a single image that is not corrupt when validated.

Does that make more sense? I`m not certain that I expressed my intentions clearly before.

mattyc_92 16:03 27 May 2006

Have you tried booting from the Acronis Emergancy CD and then create the backup?

Windows wont be loaded, nor anything else, just Acronis

mattyc_92 16:05 27 May 2006

just noticed that you can boot from the disc, but don't like it

crosstrainer 16:20 27 May 2006

Had a quick look around this looks like acronis software probs to me... since I don't want to be sued, I have a few ideas which are not printable here. Best Idea at the mo, make full backups (verify) and get rid! Then get your cash back.

johndrew 16:46 27 May 2006

Totally agree with your synopsis of Acronis but I have no intention of getting rid just yet. I still need to try this idea of running only Windows and Acronis and see what results I get.

Regardless of all the write ups in various periodicals, I`m far from certain that Acronis are producing a good product. I have seen some scathing remarks on sites subscribed to by users in the USA. Very similar problems as well!!

Someone out there knows how to achieve the login that I`m after, all I need is for them to read this and respond.

johndrew 11:15 30 May 2006

Bump

mattyc_92 12:07 30 May 2006

Try uninstalling it, and installing the older version of Acronis you have (in other words, don't update to the latest build from the site)
It is probably a bug in that (937) build!!

johndrew 14:07 30 May 2006

I already tried that. The results were much the same.

Acronis Support have responded. They want me to download the trial version of True Image 9.0 build #3633 to see if that cures the problems. Sounds to me as if they are desperate for me to fix their software by buying more!!!

mattyc_92 14:14 30 May 2006

I have noticed that most of the threads on the Acronis Forum seem to have a "Customer Care" repersentative trying to get the person who is having trouble to buy the latest version of their program...

I wonder why Acronis would do this.... lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?