Windows Old Folder

ExPara 18:18 02 May 2010

I have just upgraded Windows 7 32bit to Windows 7 64bit. I now have a folder called Windows Old which is 18.5GB in size. I have renamed it and put it on my desktop to see if it is needed. Can I just deleat it?

Sea Urchin 18:34 02 May 2010

I would keep it for a few days just to check that everything runs OK - but you shouldn't need it and can then delete it.

Batch 08:24 03 May 2010
  kristain 09:21 03 May 2010

your old Windows.old folder contains folders and files from the previous Windows. Make sure to copy any files that you may still want to keep to another location before deleting this folder.

chub_tor 09:42 03 May 2010

I did exactly the same upgrade as you and kept Windows.old for a couple of weeks, made sure that everything I needed (docs, pics, emails, contacts etc.) was in place and then deleted it.

I am finding that the 64 bit version has allowed me to use all my USB sticks (2 refused to work correctly in 32 bit) and also that a radio gagdet which was jerky under 32 bit now works OK. Of course this may be because the transfer is effectively a clean install rather than an inplace upgrade but I am finding it better for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017