Windows needs reactivation - Is it a Virus

Lizzy F 09:54 26 Sep 2007

When booting up yesterday, I got a message saying that substantial changes have been made to the hardware of my computer and that I have 3 days to re-activate windows.

I have made absolutely no changes to the machine so I am at a loss.

Has anyone else this experience or knowledge of such.

The day before, Spyware Doctore reported SpywareNo on the machine and dealt with it.

Any help would be appreciated

Lizzy

Brad G 10:31 26 Sep 2007

a registry key could of been removed which could trigger this.

if your copy of XP is genuine this is not a problem.
click start, all programs and you should see activate windows at the top, or click on the pop up balloon which appears telling you to activate windows etc. it will attempt to reactivate your copy of XP, if it fails, you can click telephone where you will be given a freephone number to call microsoft on which will allow you to reactivate.

the majority of the time the call is automated, asking you three questions, after asking you to enter a very long number which is displayed on your screen.

1) did you buy your copy of xp, or was it preinstalled

answer: you bought it

2) how many computers is this copy of xp installed on

answer: one

3) have you recently made significant hardware changes

answer: yes ( if you say no, it will not activate)

you will then be given another very long number in blocks of five, enter these in to the fields on the activation window.

Lizzy F 10:51 26 Sep 2007

The computer was built for me about 18 months ago. It came with a Windows CD, the windows ID sticker is on the outside of the machine case, I've done no tinkering with the registry at all, and no changes have been made to the hardware.

I have looked at the re-activation advice which

1. doesn't look that straightforward
2. There is no earthly reason why it should be needed and
3. I sometimes get a pinkish hue on the monitor which could be a sign of the graphics card problem and may need changing. If I accept that changes have been made, is this likely to cause problems with activation in future. Having bought an expensive operating system, I don't want to have to replace it.

So I am more looking for why this has happened if anyone can help.

Best regards

Lizzy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?