Windows MSE

Blackadderthe4th 22:09 20 Mar 2010

Should any other software be used with MSE to detect malware etc. I've read posts listing various recommendations. What are you using and why?

northumbria61 22:20 20 Mar 2010

Microsoft Security Essentials protects against malware. With the Windows Firewall enabled with MSE installed and running, the PC is adequately protected as long as you also keep the OS up to date with all offered updated via Windows Update and practicing safe computing such as not clicking on links or opening attachments from unknown sources.
You don't need, nor should you use, any other security software that provides real time protection. You can use other security software, as desired, to scan the PC as long as it does not provide real time protection.

Blackadderthe4th 12:55 21 Mar 2010

Thanks, but I'm not quite sure what is meant by "not use....provide real time protection", surely MSE is providing that? And "use other security software, as desired" why and what?

birdface 13:18 21 Mar 2010

Download Superantispyware and Malwarebytes that should do you.
MSE will not protect you from everything.
There is no security program about that will.
Hence you need the back up.
Malwarebytes pay for version is a one off payment and also gives you full time protection.
But the freebies should do.

northumbria61 13:49 21 Mar 2010

This explains "Real Time Protection" in MSE but using other products at the same time with "real time protection" enabled would cause conflict.

I personally don't use MSE but I have friends who do and like it - I believe it is free. I have AVG 9.0 Security Suite and the 2 other products that buteman mentions above. AVG is "always on" - the other 2 I run "as and when" in addition to "ccleaner"

At the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice and members on here have different views about software products which is probably the reason why so many posts on here reach a satisfactory conclusion.

northumbria61 13:51 21 Mar 2010

Sorry - this is the link that explains "Real Time Protection" ib MSE.

click here

john bunyan 16:34 21 Mar 2010

I agree with buteman. The only problem I have is that on Windows 7 64 bit Superantispyware shows a few "Eventviewer" errors, but on any other OS the combination buteman suggests work well, and each has its advantage.For now I only have Malawarebytes (free) as an additional programme to my anti virus software.

Blackadderthe4th 18:38 21 Mar 2010

Right that's sorted, but should I rely on the windows firewall or go for something like Zonealarm?

birdface 19:10 21 Mar 2010

I use windows firewall on W/7.
I would imagine MSE would use Windows Firewall.
Not sure if there may be some reaction from Zone Alarm to some of your programs.
Maybe best waiting for someone that uses Zone alarm with the same security program that you use to confirm whether it would work Ok or not.

john bunyan 20:11 21 Mar 2010

I use PCTools (Free) on w7 64 bit.

Blackadderthe4th 21:38 22 Mar 2010

I've installed MSE and Spybot S&D any opinions? Do I need anything else?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?