Windows Movie Maker 2.1

anchor 10:01 10 Mar 2006

My Evesham PC, bought last Spring, came with Win XP home edition pre-installed. Belarc advisor informs me that XP SP2 is also there:

"Quote" "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)"

The Windows Movie Maker version 2.0.3312.0 was also pre-installed.

I would like to upgrade to the version 2.1 of Windows Movie Maker, but this seems impossible as it states on the Microsoft site; "Microsoft Windows Movie Maker 2.1 is included in Windows XP Service Pack 2".

I cannot discover a separate download for Windows Movie Maker 2.1. Can anyone help?.

bjh 10:25 10 Mar 2006

Try
click here

I think that's what you want

anchor 10:37 10 Mar 2006

Thanks bjh. Unfortunately, WMM version 2.1 is not listed as an available update for my PC. As I said, I still have an older version installed.

bjh 10:38 10 Mar 2006

Sorry, meant to add... I think that the version you have is the updated version; in other words, automatic updates has given you the most recent version.

bjh 10:42 10 Mar 2006

Ah, now I'm curious.... and I think you are right!

Just switched on my second PC, uses XP Pro, and version is 2.1.4026.0.
On my XP Hme (also an Evesham, as a matter of fact) I'm getting 2.0.3312.0.

Off to do some searching!

bjh 10:52 10 Mar 2006

We are not alone

click here

and the answer may lie in this thread

click here

anchor 12:39 10 Mar 2006

I e-mailed Evesham on Wednesday about this, and am awaiting their reply, (if I get one).

Please let me know if you find something out.

anchor 13:40 10 Mar 2006

Just checked the version of WMM on my 2 month old Sony Vaio with XP Home. It is version 2.1

bjh 15:33 10 Mar 2006

On my computer: the folder C:\Program Files\Movie Maker - all files were version 2.1.4026 EXCEPT for moviemk.exe, which was 2.0.3312.0.

As I had another computer sitting there with the correct version, I just copied it across.

The page
click here
explains how to do a manual update to get the most recent version.

You should find c:\Windows\System32\dllcache has the relevant files, as listed on the above link.

Just tried it on yet another (also Evesham!) computer, and it worked fine.

Have a poke round in that folder, and I think you'll find all the files that are in the moviemaker folder. Why the autoupdate hasn't updated the exe file, I don't know!

anchor 16:11 10 Mar 2006

bjh:

Just done what you suggested, and confirmed the versions of all the files were the same as yours; the latest, except for moviemk.exe.

Copied this file from my Sony Vaio to the correct folder on my desktop, and all works fine. Now have version 2.1.4026.0.

As you say, its very strange why all the other files got updated with XP-SP2, but not the exe.

Thanks a lot for resolving the problem. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?