Windows monthly updates causing problems

thumbscrew 11:17 10 Sep 2014

Does anyone else dread the monthly updates as much as I do? Installed them today and played havoc, so much so I had to System Restore to two days ago and this in itself caused problems. Managed to get back to some sort of working order although a tad slow, but now I'm being told that they're available again. Can anyone advise if I should try again or ignore them . If ignore, can I turn off the warnings etc?

northumbria61 16:14 10 Sep 2014

Never had a problem with updates (Win 7 Pro) Rather than doing a system restore you could go to Installed Updates and Uninstall. If you are doing Automatic Updates change that in your settings to Download updates but let me choose whether to install them.

This gives you control over which updates go onto your PC. If they come up as available again you can choose which to install and which to hide.

thumbscrew 17:15 10 Sep 2014

Thank you northumbria, seems ok now but wasted most of the morning wrestling with the damn thing. I'm not on automatic and I'll take your advice next month for sure.

thumbscrew 17:19 10 Sep 2014

Thank you northumbria, seems ok now but I wasted most of the morning wrestling with the damn thing. It's not set for automatic and I'll act on your advice next month for sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?