Windows Messenger Help!

Hearst555 22:25 09 Jan 2004

I need help on how to stop Windows Messenger prompting me for an upgrade. Everytime I load up the internet, Windows Messenger pops up a window saying an update is available and whether I like to download it or not. I personally don't use Windows Messenger and keep saying no. I want to stop this but there seem to be no option on stopping Windows Messenger prompting me. I checked the 'internet options' and the 'add or remove programs' but to no avail. I even contacted Microsoft but they didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

powerless 22:28 09 Jan 2004

Why not just remove it? click here

beeuuem 22:28 09 Jan 2004

Command to Remove messenger copy and
paste the following in ‘Start’ > ’Run’

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

And click ‘OK’

VoG II 22:28 09 Jan 2004

If you do not use Windows Messenger then why not uninstall it.

1. Click on the Start button and select Run.

2. Type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

in the text box and click OK. You will see a progress bar appear shortly as it deletes its files and it will then ask you to reboot. After the reboot the program will be gone.

Hearst555 22:37 09 Jan 2004

I did uninstalled it, but it seem to came back from the dead! I have typed the command and I got a 'Advanced INF Install' window. Is this normal?

Hearst555 22:52 09 Jan 2004

The command you guys gave me worked. Now I don't have to put up with Microsoft's Messenging antics! I always trusted PC Advisor's forums to bring up the answers and not once it let me down. Keep up the good work guys! Outlook, why I didn't think of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?