Windows Messenger

Uncle Den 00:43 15 May 2003

My Windows Messenger (for XP) was working perfectly and then it began failing to logon and "retry" would produce a menu. Sometimes it would recognise my password (the same one as always) and then work - at other times it failed again. Then it failed to logon completely...

I thought it best to remove WM and reinstall it. Trying to do this with "add/remove" I deleted what I thought was Windows Messenger (msn or nsm or something like that) but then I found WM was still there, found it and removed it. However, although "completely removed with all its components" as the thing said, it still came up and demanded to be connected when I started the PC.

I went to Windows Messenger on the web and reinstalled it. It worked fine until I restarted the PC - then it went back to what it was in the first place.

I have a feeling that there was either some bits left behind when WM was removed - or some contrary option is turned on - or some diabolical gremlin is at work. I've spent days trying to sort it out and it always goes back to square one...

Can any of you erudite people out there help me out please - before I go completely round the twist!

kane_2002k 03:41 15 May 2003

...MSN messenger for your PC, exactly the same thing also by mircosoft, allowing the same functions, (i believe that windows messanger only has the added bonus on corporate messenging which your not using in a home system) can use your .net passport in it. Personlly i believe that the interface is a hell of a lot nicer to look at anyway. Could use as a short-term solution till u get windows messenger working again.

PS. if u brought operating system retail, email or phone microsoft for support they should be able to help u out

Uncle Den 23:06 23 May 2003

I'm not sure but I think the problem was in my regular habit of blocking cookies, blocking downloads and regularly deleteing cookies and files in the Internet Options.

Now I have opened all the above while I renewed my Net Passport and reset Messenger, it seems to be back to normal... thanks for your help Kane, I'll let you know if I have more trouble with it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?