windows messenger

clucker 17:12 01 Dec 2003

Any one know why windows messenger decides to start up on its own, whenever I access my outlook express inbox.
In the preferences I have unchecked any thing that allows it to start automatically & in outlook I have unchecked the auto log in.(win XP professional)

rikkisalmond 17:17 01 Dec 2003

I don't know if this will help you or whether it will still start up:

Windows XP:
1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services.
3. Scroll through the list of services until you see Messenger, and then double-click it.
4. In the Startup Type list, click Disabled.
5. Under Service Status, click Stop, and then click OK.

A_World_Maker 17:51 01 Dec 2003

The messenger I think you refer to in the Services, is a network administration 'notifier'.

Clucker :-
Start Messenger, Tools.... Options... General.. uncheck 'Automatcially run messenger when I log on to Windows' and also 'Allow automatic sign in when connected to the Internet'

See if that works for you as it did me :-)

clucker 20:40 01 Dec 2003

Have already done that

VoG II 21:06 01 Dec 2003

Do you actually use Windows Messenger? If not you can disable it as follows. Start, Run, type or paste in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and click the OK button.

clucker 21:11 01 Dec 2003

I do use it for various subscriptions, it keeps junk mail & spam under control.

It doesn't do it every time, but it's damn annoying when you dont want it to & it just pleases it's self.

smegs 21:33 01 Dec 2003

click here this will sort it out.

clucker 22:36 01 Dec 2003

I dont want to uninstall it, I just want it to do what it's supposed to & only run when I want it to.......!!!!!!!!

powerless 22:39 01 Dec 2003

I removed it because unticking the boxes to prevent it from starting - did naff all.

smegs 23:29 01 Dec 2003

Same here Powerless.

smegs 23:39 01 Dec 2003

Use the link I gave U, uninstall. Then, download MSN Messenger 6.1. Thats what I had to do. It doesn't start with OE anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?