windows messenger

clucker 17:12 01 Dec 2003

Any one know why windows messenger decides to start up on its own, whenever I access my outlook express inbox.
In the preferences I have unchecked any thing that allows it to start automatically & in outlook I have unchecked the auto log in.(win XP professional)

rikkisalmond 17:17 01 Dec 2003

I don't know if this will help you or whether it will still start up:

Windows XP:
1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services.
3. Scroll through the list of services until you see Messenger, and then double-click it.
4. In the Startup Type list, click Disabled.
5. Under Service Status, click Stop, and then click OK.

A_World_Maker 17:51 01 Dec 2003

The messenger I think you refer to in the Services, is a network administration 'notifier'.

Clucker :-
Start Messenger, Tools.... Options... General.. uncheck 'Automatcially run messenger when I log on to Windows' and also 'Allow automatic sign in when connected to the Internet'

See if that works for you as it did me :-)

clucker 20:40 01 Dec 2003

Have already done that

VoG II 21:06 01 Dec 2003

Do you actually use Windows Messenger? If not you can disable it as follows. Start, Run, type or paste in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and click the OK button.

clucker 21:11 01 Dec 2003

I do use it for various subscriptions, it keeps junk mail & spam under control.

It doesn't do it every time, but it's damn annoying when you dont want it to & it just pleases it's self.

smegs 21:33 01 Dec 2003

click here this will sort it out.

clucker 22:36 01 Dec 2003

I dont want to uninstall it, I just want it to do what it's supposed to & only run when I want it to.......!!!!!!!!

powerless 22:39 01 Dec 2003

I removed it because unticking the boxes to prevent it from starting - did naff all.

smegs 23:29 01 Dec 2003

Same here Powerless.

smegs 23:39 01 Dec 2003

Use the link I gave U, uninstall. Then, download MSN Messenger 6.1. Thats what I had to do. It doesn't start with OE anymore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone