Windows Media + Real Player - vidoes won't play

WonderMum 16:43 16 Dec 2006

Hi folks

Since having had to reformat our 2 year old PC 3 months ago, and reinstall Windows XP, we have been unable to view any video clips or movie clips with the computer freezing up. My son is certain that it was something he did on the reinstall but having tried everything (apart from starting all over again), we are now hoping you can help. Both formats will play music - it is just video clips that don't work. We have checked the settings in each programme and they are ticked to open all the relevant formats including video clips!

Anyone out there got any ideas?

Thanks

anskyber 16:48 16 Dec 2006

flashplayer is what you need for many video clipsclick here

anskyber 16:50 16 Dec 2006

Make sure your Java is up to date as well. click here

WonderMum 16:53 16 Dec 2006

Thanks Anskyber - I am trying these now and will let you know how I get on.

WonderMum 17:30 16 Dec 2006

Have tried the suggestions made by Anskyber but still get a frozen IE page. The same thing happens using Firefox so we know it is definitely something to do with the way Windows Media OR the PC were reformatted. Anyone superheros out there that can come to the rescue of a BUSY MUM who needs access to this facility for working (from home).

Thanks!

Totally-braindead 17:34 16 Dec 2006

You could reinstall media player and see what happens.

A firewall could also be blocking the video playback, perhaps check that you haven't told the firewall to block the videos.

Check your security settings as well.

anskyber 17:58 16 Dec 2006

I agree with Totally-braindead. as a PS to my earlier post sometimes Flashplayer will not perform properly unless it is installed using Adobe's installer click here before downloading,click here worth a try if things are getting desperate!

anskyber 17:59 16 Dec 2006

uninstaller before downloading the installer. I must proof read before posting.

.:?:. 18:47 16 Dec 2006

try installing codecs.

DivX - click here

Xvid - click here

skidzy 18:51 16 Dec 2006

Possibly a missing or broken codec click here

birdface 19:44 16 Dec 2006

You need a Decoder to work WMP,But saying that It should have worked with the Decoder downloaded with Real Player,Next problem is usually Flashplayer+java Needing up-dated, You have tried that,I Would delete WMP+Realplayer,Then run C Cleaner Then re-install them.Other problem is I dont think it should interfere with the running of IE Or Firefox,Think that may be a seperate problem,If you are running IE7 Delete it ,go back to IE6,And your main problem is, You are probably running Norton Av,Lastly make sure that you dont have to many programs running at start up,Its just little things to think about,if you run short of ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone