windows media player won't play dvd's??

bbeaudiddley 21:40 18 Apr 2005

Hi there,
anybody know where I can download whatever I need to play dvd's on my media player please?
Think I need and encoder or something. Can I get this for free anywhere on the net?
Thanks folks...

wobblymike 22:07 18 Apr 2005

you need the dvd codec plug in - connect to the net then from within wmp select tools - download - plug ins and you will connect to the site from there its self explanatory.

better still get yourself a copy of power dvd - better by far.

Totally-braindead 22:49 18 Apr 2005

Not sure if the codec you need is free but I suppose you'll find that out when you try to download it, incidently I agree with wobblymike powerDVD works better for me anyway.

pj123 23:14 18 Apr 2005

Yes, agree powerDVD is the one to get. But if you want a free "play anything" get JetAudio from click here

Scroll down to the bottom and select jetaudio 6 basic download.

Praxis99 23:45 18 Apr 2005

In order to use WMP to play DVD's you need a software DVD player installed and since it seems you don't already have one installed on your PC you'll need to purchase one.

PowerDVD as already said here is one option (which I use) but there are others such as WinDVD.

Finally unless you want to play back WMV HD Video (which I have only seem on a few demo's downloaded from the WMP website but should become more mainsteam over time) you might find that using your software player of choice is a more flexible DVD playback option (I certainly do).

ashdav 00:15 19 Apr 2005

try this click here download and install the mega codec pack 1.25. It includes classic media player which will play anything you will come across and all the codecs you will ever need. It is also bug free and doesn't mess up your computer like WMP does.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?