Windows Media Player (WMP)

Arthur 17:53 24 Sep 2007

I have a problem playing DVDs on my WMP, I have a green screen, I get the same effect when using Cyberlink PowerDVD5. I suspect the DVD is playing but I cannot see or hear anything. I am using Version 11 which I unistalled and used 10 but with the same problem. I have reinstalled 11. I have seen a number of questions on the net about the problem, but no definative answer.

Help please.

try k-lite codec pack see if that helps
click here

Could be your graphics card. Can you play any other movie files?

Arthur 12:41 30 Sep 2007

Neither an update to my graphics card or the K-lite codec pack has made any change

possibly the dvd laser has gone on your dvd drive,try vlc which plays most things to rule out software and codecs
click here

Arthur 16:31 01 Oct 2007

I have 3 DVD players, 2 internal and 1 using a USB connection. All 3 players have the same problem. I have downloaded vlc and it has the same problem, a green screen. If a play a audio CD on any of the players there is no problem, but when using vlc to play a CD and then adding a visualisation the green screen appears not the vis. Still baffled.

fairly old link but sounds similar,fyi
click here

skidzy 16:56 01 Oct 2007

Ive had a look around Google about this and it seems to be a glitch in SP2,though the info i have read goes back to 2004.
I have not found a solution as many things have been tried.

The main thing that seems to fix the issue is disabling and removing certain video codecs from within Device Manager.

However i would be tempted to remove all codecs and filters and reboot the system (create a system restore point first).
Then download and install the codec pack as per Ravens link click here

Or download the codec pack and save to the desktop first,do not install untill you have removed the video codecs.

Good idea is to run ccleaner after removing any filters and video codecs and then reboot click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?