Windows Media Player in Vista, not playing

Why wont it work 00:23 16 Jun 2007

Windows media player appears to have been able to do anything I have asked it to do, in vista, up until today. A friend of mine was on the radio and I they wanted me to hear the show, so they linked me to this page

click here

The very first time I played it worked... since that first time not a single podcast on that page will work, I get: "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help."

All my drivers/ programs/ codecs are installed and up to date etc. There are no viruses etc either. Two system restores, which both took a rediculous 30mins each did not do the trick either. (The length of the sytem restores suggests something might be up, it has never taken that long before, 5-10 mins max). Only change I have made lately was installing zone alarm beta, which completely killed my pc, but a 1 hour restore seemed to fix that...Back with Nod32 now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Why wont it work 00:34 16 Jun 2007

just got an error which linked me to this page

click here

Could it be windows firewall, or is it out of my control (I am at uni, thus my laptop is connected through the uni network)

pk46 00:45 16 Jun 2007

Had this problem the other day but i'm sorry to say i was unable to resolve the problem i did a full system reinstall Media player 11 is now working fine,system restore was useless as always
when you want it the most.

Why wont it work 10:39 21 Jun 2007

In case anyone else gets this problem, for some reason windows firewall was not allowing this type of connection through. Thus an appropriate rule must be applied to allow it through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?