Windows Media Player - Vista Home Premium

Phil49 14:07 15 Feb 2009

Media Player has been working on my HP 64 bit Vista Home Premium system just fine until about a week ago. Now, if I double-click on a WMV or AVI media file in Explorer, the sound starts but the Media Player window doesn't open. If I then open Media Player via the Start Menu the video is displayed and I can watch the video until the end. If I close Media Player before the end of the video the window closes but the audio continues to play and I cannot stop it.

I had wondered whether another app was playing the audio (I had WinAmp installed but have now installed it and the problem persists).

Can anyone help please?

rawprawn 14:20 15 Feb 2009

Check Control Panel> Default Programs and make sure that Media Player has all it's defaults.

Phil49 14:33 15 Feb 2009

Thanks rawprawn. I have checked that Media Player has all its defaults, including AVI and WMV.

gazzaho 14:47 15 Feb 2009

I'm having WMP problems with WMV files also, though not the same as yours. This click here site may have some answers for you, worth a read through.

rawprawn 15:22 15 Feb 2009

You could try a System Restore to a date before the problem started. It is better to do a system restore from Safe Mode.

Phil49 19:30 16 Feb 2009

Thanks folks. In fact the problem seems to have resolved itself, like one or two other problams I have had with Vista since buying my new PC last November. Will repost here if the problem reoccurs.
Phil49

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires