Windows Media Player Sound Distortion

cocteau48 11:51 14 Jan 2007

Last year I added a cheepo (Tesco)sub woofer system and immediately started to get high end sound distortion on mp3 playback with WMP 10. My first reaction was that I had overdriven the speakers so I experimented by replacing them with a pair of satellite speakers from a portable Hi Fi system but still got the same high end distortion.
Downloaded Winamp/RealAlternative/Media Monkey over a period of time and got absolutely fabulous playback with all of them - no distortion at all.
Today I have downloaded WMP11 to see if there was any improvement but the high end distortion is still there.
Any theories as to why (other than Microsoft being rubbish)?

jay.p 23:16 14 Jan 2007

had same prob with wmp 10.googled the codecs for it from a 3rd party site and installed them and noticed an improvement.
turning off the visuals also helped as i noticed my cpu was at 100% when playing ( sempron 2400+ )which is strange. you coul check this but yours may be a different prob.also latest drivers for your sound card wont hurt but if ok with the other players your drivers should be ok.
sorry thats all i got.

Stuartli 23:39 14 Jan 2007

I'm presuming this is the same route as for WMP 10.

WMP's Tools>Options>Devices tab>Highlight Speakers>Properties>ensure that your onboard sound or sound card is the Default Audio Device.

cocteau48 08:16 15 Jan 2007

Stuartli

"WMP's Tools>Options>Devices tab>Highlight Speakers>Properties>ensure that your onboard sound or sound card is the Default Audio Device"

Thanks for the input. As it turned out the onboard sound card was not the default audio device but changing it has still made no difference.

birdface 18:35 15 Jan 2007

This probably wont help but,Trying to get my CD to play music, sound was so scratchy it was annoying just trying to listen to it,Went into WMP the sound was set to Digital changed it to analogue and it sounded a lot better,Like I said probably no help to you as I have only got a cheap pair of speakers,But good enough for me.

birdface 18:43 15 Jan 2007

Just cancel that last remark,Got it wrong I think.[Analog]

cocteau48 19:43 15 Jan 2007

I have tinkered with all the settings within WMP to no avail.
At the end of the day streaming audio and mp3 playback is superb when any other media player is used. It is only WMP that is cra......('scuse me , crackly)and I reckon it is going in the same bin as OE and IE. Microsoft - pah!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?