Windows media player problem

EARLR 19:12 23 Jun 2006

I am having problems with media player. Is there any way repair it without doing a repair install?
thanks

ade.h 19:32 23 Jun 2006

No, not really.

*If* you have an updated version (ie, not the original) then you can in *most* cases, find it listed in among the other Windows Updates and uninstall it from there. Though there is an anomaly which can result in the update not being listed, even if you have not removed the reference to it.

Otherwise, there is no way of uninstalling the original version of WMP; because it is a Windows component, and original edition of WMP is stuck there. You can remove access to it from the Add/Remove Windows Components screen, but it can never be removed.

sfc /scannow can sometimes have a successful outcome. But not often, in WMP's case.

ade.h 19:32 23 Jun 2006

"and original edition" = any original edition.

EARLR 08:55 25 Jun 2006

I think that I did something to the codec. Is there any way to re-install that?
thanks

Diodorus Siculus 09:01 25 Jun 2006

click here
Codec Installation Packages

EARLR 09:18 25 Jun 2006

Thanks Diodorus; should I uninstall K-lite first? I think that it deleted my WMP codect's.

Diodorus Siculus 09:37 25 Jun 2006

I'd leave the k-lite pack there.

EARLR 09:41 25 Jun 2006

Thank's -will try it.

EARLR 12:37 25 Jun 2006

That helped; But still get stutter when playing video clips Both WMV & real.

Diodorus Siculus 13:37 25 Jun 2006

For real video, try real alternative:

Free-Codecs.com :: Download Real Alternative 1.49 : Real Alternative will allow you to play RealMedia files without having to install RealPlayer/RealOne Player
click here

EARLR 08:54 26 Jun 2006

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?