Windows media player not 'playing'

reburner57 21:56 22 Nov 2003

Windows media player is giving me the following message every time I try to launch files directly from the net :

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the server is not responding. If you entered a URL or path to play the file, verify that it is correct. If you clicked a link to play the file, the link may not be valid."

If I save the files down to my hard drive and run them from there it works fine.

It worked fine recently and seemingly has started playing up for no reason (no recent updates etc.)

Anyone got any ideas ?????

reburner57 22:01 22 Nov 2003

by the way. Am running WMP 9 on XP

starman316 22:17 22 Nov 2003

I get a similar problem only when i play MPEGs (Video files) when going into fullscreen it freezes whole machine, what is it with WMP?

Stuartli 08:55 23 Nov 2003

You need to read this:

click here;EN-US;814676

Stuartli 08:57 23 Nov 2003

PS

You'll need to enter the blue link and copy and paste the rest into your address bar - or alternatively enter the Knowledge Base query number 814676 into the Search bar at microsoft.com

reburner57 10:40 23 Nov 2003

Sorry you've lost me a bit. That article refers to altering the settings on the compression tab in Windows media encoder. How does that relate to windows media player ????

luvpup 10:46 23 Nov 2003

Sounds like it's being blocked by a fire-wall to me, you must have the right codecs if they play from your hdd...

As for the other guy, sounds to me like you need to upgrade your graphics card, or system ram or both...

Can you give some more info on your system? Does it play fine in small screen and then freeze on full-screen, then it is either one of the two things I mentioned above...

good luck

starman316 11:35 24 Nov 2003

It plays fine small screen but when I go into fullscreen it freezes and hangs pc I have to hit reset button to restart machine

INTEL P4 1.7GHZ
512MB RAM
32MB NVIDIA TNT
cheers in advance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?