Windows Media Player... no video!

Karina22 11:34 29 Jun 2004

Hello experts out there....

My new IBM laptop is wondrous, but unfortunately the Windows Media Player on it will play sound from a .wmv file but not the pictures... does anyone have a clue why this might be and what I can do about it?

Yours gratefully....

Karina

P.S. I'm using Windows XP if this helps

Pinklady1967 12:09 29 Jun 2004

I had exactly the same problem after buying my new PC in February. I also have Windows XP and, after many enquiries and money spent, was told to do the following (and it worked!)

1) Make a system restore point!

2) download this file:
click here

3) Double click the file and select and install the "Motion JPG" option ONLY!!!

4) Rboot your PC and try and view again..

I do hope you find it successful too as I know only too well how frustrating it is when it doesn't work properly.

Regards
Kim

Stuartli 15:51 29 Jun 2004

Are all the File Types enabled from Tools>Options?

Karina22 16:47 29 Jun 2004

Thanks guys...

Stuartli - yeah, I checked the file types and altered a few things but it didn't do much at the time!

However, as it happened, just after I posted that message I tried playing the file again and Microsoft kindly prompted me with an extra download... which was very catchily entitled "Windows Media 9 Series Video Codec Cab" and once I'd downloaded and installed that, the file played immediately.

So if anyone else has the same problem that's another possible solution. Why oh why oh why are PCs so complicated?!

Karina22 16:51 29 Jun 2004

Thanks guys...

Stuartli - yeah, I checked the file types and altered a few things but it didn't do much at the time!

However, as it happened, just after I posted that message I tried playing the file again and Microsoft kindly prompted me with an extra download... which was very catchily entitled "Windows Media 9 Series Video Codec Cab" and once I'd downloaded and installed that, the file played immediately.

So if anyone else has the same problem that's another possible solution. Why oh why oh why are PCs so complicated?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?