Windows Media Player monitering folders

hawthorn59 03:35 25 Feb 2009

Hi All

I want to tidy up my music collection and am wondering if changes I make in My Music will automatically be recognized in WMP11. It is set to monitor that folder. However just to check, I changed the name of an album from eg Hits to Hits 2.
When I opened WMP it still called the album Hits.

I just want to make sure before I move music around that it will "follow" where it is going in My Music and show up accordingly in WMP11. Anyone any experience of this?

thanks

h

tims31 11:23 25 Feb 2009

Just changing the folder name will make no difference. You need to change the name of the album in the properties of the file. If you go to the album view in MP and change the properties for that album or select all the songs from that album>right click and select Advanced Tag Editor then change the details of each song then that should work.

Once you have done what you want I would recommend selecting all files in MP and deleting from your library (not library and computer!!!) then doing the monitor folder again just to refresh all the files.

hawthorn59 15:12 25 Feb 2009

Thanks for that. However what I want is to tidy up My Music, which involves moving tracks from one place to another etc Some are buried too deep under folders ie I have some compilations I ripped from different cds, I gave them a name, say, Christmas Favourites, but they come up in My Music as Unknown Artist/ Christmas Favourites. I just want to move the folder Christmas Favourites into the root directory (correct term??) so when I open My Music I see all albums or folders. But will this work for WMP?

Then there are some I have to name myself as WMPs database didnt find All Angels (a well known current classical female group).

So basically I want to tidy up stuff in My Music and hope that WMP follows the changes. So perhaps if I delete everything from WMP library then it would have to follow the new setup....?

thanks

h

hawthorn59 15:26 25 Feb 2009

Sorry to annoy you again. Browsing through My Music I founs this: Unknown Artist / Unknown Album / and then the 1 song that was in it.

In WMP I edited the album title to read "Backing Tracks" and even the artist title to read "Backing Tracks" so if I need to find this track I know where it is. And it seems to work fine in WMP. It has changed.

BUT, not in My Music; its still Unknown Artist / Unknown Album / etc

So where exactly do I have to make changes if I need to (eg names, artists such as I did)? Surely not in both places?

If I had changed it in My Music would WMP have tracked it...? And how now do I get My Music to change to what is in WMP or am I doing this backways!!??

I tried closing both programmes and reopening but it made no difference.

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?