windows media player has decided to stop working

the old man 08:04 19 May 2008

Out of the blue media player has decided not to work. Not downloaded any thing out of the ordinary and there was only the latest vista update from last tuesday. Have tried various media and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas.

rawprawn 08:34 19 May 2008

Try a system file scan
XP> Start> Run> type sfc /scannow and hit enter. You will be asked for your XP CD.

Vista Open the Command Prompt by right clicking and select "Run as Administrator". At the C: prompt type sfc /scannow and then hit Enter

the old man 19:56 19 May 2008

Sfc/scannow came up with nothing. No intergrity violations.
All very strange. Could obviously get rid and reinstall but then I would not know what may have caused it to have happened in the first place.

the old man 10:06 07 Jun 2008

Cannot reinstall media player as i have more up to date files from windows updates than is in the downloadable file. Have downloaded a new media player but would still like to know what has happened to cause media player 11 not to work.
I wonder if this is related in some way to my other problem with BSOD's. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

rdave13 10:33 07 Jun 2008

Not on Vista at the moment so don't know the route. Can you check to see if WMP is set to the default player. Seem to remember reading somewhere that this might help.

the old man 17:33 07 Jun 2008

done that a few times.

rdave13 20:00 07 Jun 2008

Start-default programs- set your default programs- windows media player- click on-set this program as default-ok.
If that's failed try right clicking WMP in all programs and run as administrator.

rdave13 20:27 07 Jun 2008

Also click here

sinbads 20:28 07 Jun 2008

When you say it dosn't work is it just not opening when you double click the icon?

sinbads 21:00 07 Jun 2008

open the task manager select processers scroll down to wmplayer.exe and end process then try your winmedia player again

ambra4 02:20 08 Jun 2008

“Windows media player has decided to stop working”

Maybe a good thing, did you know that every time you open it that it sends information to

Microsoft about your computer take a read here.

click here

Personal I don’t like it, don’t want it, don’t use it, also one of the reason the EU want it removed

from all of Windows sold in the EU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?