Windows Media Player Files

Tranestation 20:27 03 Aug 2004

Using XP,I have to copy a large amount of music to new extenal hard drive after failure of "old" drive(only 4 mnths old)As the media player files are intact,is there any way in WMP9 to copy music without it overwriting info which is already stored.Some info on the internet is not very up to date and a lot of it is just plain wrong.The destination and path is the same as before.I've looked in WMP options,unchecked update my music,but still copies incomplete info.Any thoughts appreciated.Regards Steve

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:58 03 Aug 2004

There is no need to use WMP. Make a new folder on your external HD and name it Music or whayever. Select your music folder on your old drive and just copy to the new folder.

Tranestation 09:38 04 Aug 2004

Dear G.Thanks for the courtesy of your reply Sorry to be a pain but I don't quite follow you.All I have is data listed in WMP.but no music because it was lost in hard drive failure.My question is, if I want to re-copy music from CD's etc is there any way i can stop WMP copying the data, which if retrieved from the internet is often wrong or missing.If the destination and path are the same can I restore the links to the info thats there or would I have to delete the info and start again.The files listed in WMP cannot be played(error messages-no links) so they are no good without the music to go with them.Is there any way to hook up info to newly copied music without erroneous new info being copied.Maybe if I just deleted the whole lot and started again.........Thanks again for your reply.Steve

Stuartli 09:43 04 Aug 2004

I would delete and start again - much, much less hassle.

Tranestation 10:13 04 Aug 2004

Dear S. Thanks for your reply.I thought as much,but what are the alternatives that would be much much more hassle?(just so I know!)Regards Steve.

temp003 11:11 04 Aug 2004

There doesn't seem to be a way in WMP to copy music without adding it to the Media Library at the same time (even after I have removed folders monitoring).

A workaround is to use another program to copy the music to the same locations, making sure you use the same default folder structure/file name as before. Then when you play the music in WMP, the links will work.

If you want to stick to WMP to copy the music, you can back up your existing Media Library database first, copy the music using WMP (and let WMP make the changes to the Media Library). Then close WMP, and replace the new database with the backed up copy.

The Media Library database is stored in a file at:

c:\documents and settings\[your account name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb

The "Local Settings" folder is a hidden folder, so you'll have to enable "Show hidden files and folders" in My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View tab (or search for Local Settings within hidden files and folders), to access it.

Once you find the file, make a copy of it and save it elsewhere.

In XP's WMP, in the same folder where you find the file CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb, there is also a file called wmpfolders.wmdb. I can't remember what it's for, but back that up as well just in case, and restore the backed up copy of this file as well to the same location.

Tranestation 12:16 04 Aug 2004

Thanks Temp.Interesting workaround.I backed up the files as you suggested on to a CDRW but WMP wouldn't recognise the format of the disk.Unless i'm doing something wrong at this stage,deleting is maybe the easiest way(as Stuartli suggested)I can see the theory,but as with so many things the practice is somewhat different.Thanks again for your help.I'll try backing it up elsewhere and see if that makes a difference.Any other ideas welcome.Just a thought tho' that seeing as there seems to be so many problems with WMP 10 perhaps future WMP'S should have a facility to keep all data,which after all is stored in a different location to the music stuff itself,and be able to simply have the choice to keep existing data or to overwrite it in cases like this which must happen a lot.Theres check boxes for everything else in Windows so how difficult could it be?(How many times has that been asked!!!!).Regards Steve.

Tranestation 12:16 04 Aug 2004

Thanks Temp.Interesting workaround.I backed up the files as you suggested on to a CDRW but WMP wouldn't recognise the format of the disk.Unless i'm doing something wrong at this stage,deleting is maybe the easiest way(as Stuartli suggested)I can see the theory,but as with so many things the practice is somewhat different.Thanks again for your help.I'll try backing it up elsewhere and see if that makes a difference.Any other ideas welcome.Just a thought tho' that seeing as there seems to be so many problems with WMP 10 perhaps future WMP'S should have a facility to keep all data,which after all is stored in a different location to the music stuff itself,and be able to simply have the choice to keep existing data or to overwrite it in cases like this which must happen a lot.Theres check boxes for everything else in Windows so how difficult could it be?(How many times has that been asked!!!!).Regards Steve.

temp003 12:45 04 Aug 2004

You don't have to burn the files to CD, although you could (but the files when copied back from CD to hard drive, will be Read-ONly and you need to remove the read-only attribute).

Just copy the 2 files to another location on the hard drive, such as My Documents.

Do a test. Open WMP, edit the Media Library, such as deleting an item from it. Close WMP.

Then use the "Copy this file" function in XP to copy the file at My Documents\CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb and My Documents\wmpfolders.wmdb to the folder c:\documents and settings\[user name]\Local Settings\...\Media Player

Say yes to overwriting it. Do the same for the wmpfolders.wmdb file.

Then open WMP again to see if the deleted item in Media Library appears again. If it does, then it's working.

Tranestation 14:29 04 Aug 2004

Dear Temp.Thanks for your reply.I'm getting somewhere but still have a problem.If I delete an album and re-copy it(after copying the files to somewhere else as you suggested-which is ok)and then copying those files to the WMP and overwriting the existing files,well here's the catch.WMP then has both sets of info listed,the old and the new.The old info-click to play-same old error message.New info from the copying procedure still there.It seems that it's not overwriting but merely adding back the deleted info.WMP seems to be Weapons Of Mass Perdition.Either I need to use some other means to get music back onto new drive by some other means other than WMP (any suggestions)or there is a problem maybe in the original data.Thanks again for your time and help. Regards Steve

temp003 16:39 04 Aug 2004

2 things. First thing which is the more important one is when you say you click on an "old" link, you get an error message.

Is the link itself correct? By that I mean the path to the new music file newly copied to your music drive (say, F:\Westlife\Coast to Coast\01-My Love.wma). If the file is there, and the path is correct, you click on it, but it doesn't play, then there's no point in going on trying my method (although I don't understand why it wouldn't play, if the path is correct).

Second thing, the new set of info is added, probably because you have got folders which WMP monitors (Tools, Options, Media Library, Monitor Folders). WMP keeps track of what's in the those folders and updates the Media Library (this seems to apply only to XP's WMP).

Click the button Monitor Folders, if there are folders there (such as your external hard disk), highlight them one by one and click Remove, click OK, and try the previous test again.

If it gets too complicated, just forget it and rebuild your Media Library info from scratch.

But I don't know why it doesn't work, because I've used this method before to restore my Media Library in WMP after a format and reinstall of Windows (for the same reason - I didn't want to edit all the artists names, track names and other stuff all over again - a lot of which is in Chinese which takes a long time to input).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?