Windows Media Player file deletion problem.

Anakrino 17:39 15 Oct 2010

I have Windows 7 64 bit and have a problem deleting old library items from Windows Media Player. These files are all old videos where the source has been deleted some time ago from the computer but WMP still holds on to them and comes up with the error message “cannot play” and no other options. I don’t want to play just get rid of them.I have tried deleting various ways but nothing works, they steadfastly remain . Can anyone help to resolve?

mooly 18:08 15 Oct 2010

Does this help... I did this (Vista) only last week to clear everything out.
click here

Batch 16:04 16 Oct 2010

The normal way would just be to right click the item and select delete.

An alternative is to completely rebuild the WMP database. I'm using WMP 10 under WinXP and I periodically do the following:

1. Find the WMP database file that contains the library info.

For my WMP version this file is CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb located in C:\Documents and Settings\Batch\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player

2. With WMP closed down, delete the above-mentioned file (it doesn't contain the music / media files, just the WMP data).

3. Start WMP and use the "Search For Media Files" option to point WMP at all my media files.

Obviously to do this you need to know where all your media files are (or you could just let WMP browse your system and re-find files of its own accord)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017