Windows Media Player error message (DVD only)

alfredgerald 10:57 16 Dec 2006

"Can not play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card". The drive has been working perfectly since we bought the Dell Laptop 3 months ago. CDs play ok. Any suggestions

anskyber 11:07 16 Dec 2006

You are not alone. click here

anskyber 11:11 16 Dec 2006

If you have an error code this may help. click here

alfredgerald 11:18 16 Dec 2006

No error code appears on the screen. How do I find it?

anskyber 11:31 16 Dec 2006

Have you looked at the Dell site for drivers? click here

anchor 14:52 16 Dec 2006

Are you trying to play an ordinary commercial movie DVD?. If so, Windows media player will not play it because it does not include the necessary codec, (which is not free).

alfredgerald 14:50 18 Dec 2006

Yes I am. Where do I get the necessary codec?

Stuartli 15:20 18 Dec 2006

The K-Lite codecs packs contain virtually every audio and video codec you will require:

click here

Stuartli 15:21 18 Dec 2006

Ensure that DVD is Enabled from WMP's Tools>File Types.

alfredgerald 13:08 19 Dec 2006

Thank you Anskyber. The first option led me to the Dell patch which has worked.

sickofthisbs 09:23 29 Dec 2006

Ok. My problem originally started with an error message from Windows Media Player 11 saying "Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card." I then went through the options it told me to do when I clicked "Web Help". That did nothing. I then ran Windows Update. Nothing about DVD anything. That told me to run the DVD troubleshooter in the Help and Support Center. That did nothing. I then searched the error message I originally got in Google and found this forum that told me to download said driver update from above (click here). That gave me this error message- "This Update is not designed for the application version you currently have installed." I am using Windows Media Player 11 on a Dell Lattitude D620 with a DVD burner/player. The DVDs play fine in PowerDVD, but I would much rather play them in WMP. HELP!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017