Windows Media Player

jaycup 23:05 09 Nov 2005

I run XP Pro and trying to use Media Player 10 to open media files on my hard disk such as .avi;.mpeg or wmv results in a crash. If I go to the folder and click on the files (with WMP set as the default player) then IE crashes in fact just hovering the Mouse over the file causes a crash. I have got round the problem by using Nero Showtime and importing the file to this program but I would like to use Media Player. A search on-line has shown the problem to be well documented but I have not found a solution and Microsoft totally ignores it. Can anyone help on this one?.

Skyver 23:13 09 Nov 2005

Only a suggestion, navigate to \Program Files\Windows Media Player\ and run setup_wm.exe - ignore any warning messages, it should reinstate the basic WMP settings. Well it's worked for me in the past at any rate.

jaycup 07:56 10 Nov 2005

Sorry, first of all I should make a correction. It is not IE that crashes but Windows Explorer.
I will try your suggestion but I have already uninstalled and down;oaded and re-installed the latest version of MP10

jaycup 09:11 10 Nov 2005

Problem now solved. The problem was caused by a DivX codec installed on my computer Windows Media Player does not tke kindly to this (seemingly) so it causes all sorts of problems. I have now un-installed DivX and MP is working normally. This should not have happened and Microsoft are far too slow at updating their software to cope with the trends and improvements that are going on in the computer world. Hope they sort this one out with 'Vista'
Thanks for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?