Windows Media Player 10, CD Burning Problem

Jakesmom 02:46 05 Jan 2006

Hello all. I am new to this and have a lot to learn. I have been successfully burning music to cd using WMP10. All of a sudden it stops burning cd's. I get error message C00D11AB and sometimes C00D11CD. I can play a cd in WMP10, but it won't burn a cd. But I also cannot burn a data cd or any kind, even thru the Oper. System. Sometimes the CD-RW Drive tray hangs and I have to restart the computer to get it to open so I can get the cd out. I have looked through hundreds of Microsoft's help articles and newsgroups and tried all their solutions, but none work. I don't even know if I have a hardware problem with the CD-RW Drive or a software problem with WMP10. or both. Any help you can supply would be appreciated. My operating system is Windows XP, SP2. Thanks.

Skyver 03:00 05 Jan 2006

Can you open your machine (switched off) and check all cables and connections are secure?
Does the drive read data CDs as well as audio CDs properly?

Jakesmom 04:56 05 Jan 2006

Skyver, Thank you for your response. I have already checked the cables and connections, and also the drive does read data cd's as well as audio cd's. The media player seems to go through the whole burning process, inspecting, converting, etc. and says "Burning In Progress" but when it gets to the point where the cd is ususally ejected automatically and "Burn Complete" usually shows up, I get the error message C00D11AB. I have also gotten the latest updates and latest drivers. I don't know a lot about these things, but do you suppose there is some kind of setting that has gotten messed up that would allow the media player to communicate with the Cd-RW Drive? I checked the CD-RW Drive properties and cd burning is enabled on that drive. Any more ideas would be apprecited. Thanks.

AndySD 05:27 05 Jan 2006

Microsofts help on this error click here

Are you using a different brand of CDR than before?

Also try freeing up some resources on your PC.

Go Start then Run and type in

msconfig

Click OK then go to the Startup Tab and see whats loading in the background when Windows starts. click here and use the Search then untick any items not required. (when you restart you will get a popup click here tick the box then click OK)

Jakesmom 18:58 05 Jan 2006

AndySD, Thank you for your response. I did follow Microsoft's instructions of cleaning, setting slower burn speed, using a different brand of cdr and quit other programs. None solved the problem. I have also freed up all resources that I can, and checked my startup programs. I run AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy & Norton Antivirus, also. Any other ideas will be appreciated. Thank

Jakesmom 17:37 09 Jan 2006

Hello all. I still don't have my problems with the CD Writing Wizard or Media Player 10 not burning cd's fixed, but I was able to drag & drop photos to MusicMatch and burn them to cd successfully. I didn't know you could do that. I thought MusicMatch was for burning only music cd's. So as long as I can get info onto cd's I won't worry a whole lot about the problems. Unless, of course, someone has a fix for them. I hate things that don't work. Thank you all for your help and this great site.

Stuartli 18:21 09 Jan 2006

Have you checked WMP10's Tools>Options>Devices tab>highlight your rewriter>Properties>Recording tab that Allow burning with this drive has not inadvertently been disabled?

Jakesmom 22:53 10 Jan 2006

Stuartli, Yes, I did check this out and recording is enabled on that drive. Thanks for the suggestion though.

beynac 10:32 11 Jan 2006

I had the same problem with burning CDs on my old computer (no WMP10). If your's will not burn at all, it would appear that WMP10 is not the problem. I was told that there were different lasers for burning and reading and that the burning one had probably packed up. I got another CD writer for about £25 - problem solved.

Obviously, if the CD writer is still under warranty it would be worth having it checked.

beynac 10:34 11 Jan 2006

Sorry, just re-read the posts and saw that you had managed to burn CDs using MusicMatch.

Jakesmom 05:58 15 Jan 2006

Beynac, Thanks for your response. Yes, I can burn a cd using musicmatch. It just seems wierd that I cannot burn a cd through the Operating System or the media player either. I guess it is just an odd coincidence that both seem to be broken at same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?