Windows media centre problem

User-7BF0BA46-9383-43F9-A74EB865DFA586D5 18:42 21 Aug 2006

Have a problem with my Windows Media centre and need to probably need to repair the installation - unfortunatley the cd rom has a crack in it - flipin well annoyed as its the first time I have looked at it since buying the pc.

JUst in case problem can be answered without the need to repair.

Symptoms are when opening media centre, going to live tv - error message says - temporary hard disc problem, close media centre and start again. It still fails to open live tv - and repeats the error message. Have closed down the pc and re booted many times, same problem.

Other problem which may or may not be associated is I would like to partition the drive - only got 1 big partition, and I have found that if I save all my work to a separate partition, when the need arises to re -insatll windows, them my documents are not affected. When opeing up partition manager it tell me I cannot have another partition - well everything is greyed out and cannot be used.

If problem not easily resolved then how do I get areplacement OS disc _I have originals and cert of authenticity (which is stuck on the PC (OEM)

Hope someone can help, thanks in anticipation

Bomberboy1943 19:00 21 Aug 2006

When Mine crashed I took it to my Loocal Repair shop wnd he put it on for me at a cost of £30 + £60 for the disk I doubt if you would get a replacement with the same registration no

Thanks, but at that sort of price I could buy another copy of the OS and install myself.

Having already paid for the OS, thats money I am not going to spend - will go to Linux - I find it hard to believe that I cannot get a replacement cd from MS.

Bomberboy1943 20:42 23 Aug 2006

a new copy would cost in the region of £100+ you could try microsoft but there maybe a charge

thanks, but paying again goes against the grain

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?