Windows ME woes

Flatpick 10:34 22 May 2007

Hi, everyone out there, I have an odd problem on a friends computer. Basically, somehow, he has lost a lot of files that make up ME. ie No Windows Help is available,the CD won,t recocognize discs, the USB function is gone, and numerous other problems. The computer boots up to ME welcome page, and you can use and access the various programs from desk top, so a ME rescue disk didn't help. In short I want to uninstall ME and reinstall-but I can't! Even if I access the ME installation disc(setup)via windows explorer, I am presented with a fatal error and blue screen of death!Any suggestions to remove ME, reinstall and save my sanity.

tullie 10:46 22 May 2007

Can you change the BIOS to boot from cd,put cd in drive,then reboot?

rodriguez 11:25 22 May 2007

If you can get hold of a cheap copy of XP and if the computer will take it, it's best to install that as ME was never very stable. However, as tullie says, if you want to keep ME put the installation disc in, reset it and it should boot. If it doesn't, reset it and tap DEL just as it starts up (or whatever key it tells you to press to enter setup) then change the boot order to make CD-ROM 1st, Floppy 2nd and HDD or IDE-0 3rd. Reboot and it should start from the CD. Use this method to start the XP CD as well if you decide to go with that.

rodriguez 11:26 22 May 2007

Also the boot sequence option might be in the advanced settings on the BIOS, but some have different options so it's best to go through until you find it.

I. T. Mastermind 13:41 22 May 2007

don't forget if your computer can only boot from floppies and not cds (unlikely but anyway) go to click here and get some bootable floppy images from there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone