windows ME scandisk runs at start up

hugh-265156 23:51 07 Apr 2004

Hi all.

A friend asked me to have a wee look at their computer as they were having a few problems with spam and the computer running a bit slow etc so i installed mailwasher,spybot,adaware,spywareblaster,cleanup and updated and run their AV(norton) all was squeeky clean.

after doing the above i ran a defrag(they never had) ran cleanup removed some junk from add remove progs and disabled some start up items using msconfig.

she only has 128mb of ram installed and an 800mhz celeron cpu click here the computer is required for email and office tasks with the odd bit of paint shop pro now and again to edit and email photos so i suggested adding some more ram and hopefully this will help open things up a bit faster.

anyway,on to the problem.the computer is always shut down to standby and on restart starts up fine but if fully shut down(turn off)then scandisk runs when restarting every time.

it seems to shut down correctly im my opinion and when starting up after scandisk runs it starts up windows ok.

i had a quick check for this problem on the MS Kb and found click here which suggests downloading and installing the ide hard drive cache package.

at the bottom of the page there is also a regedit fix.does this do the same thing or do i need to download the fix and also carry out the reg fix?

a new faster computer is not an option.any other ideas welcome.sorry for the waffle.

ta.

Giggle n' Bits 00:12 08 Apr 2004

press the CTRL-ALT-DEL key and see what programmes are running in the background, maybe one of them is running but not shutting down properly or possilby theres a programme monitoring something in the background as the Packard Bells they have lots of pre-installed stuff.

My techical suggestion would be to run HDD manufactures Diagnostic tool, which I have a feeling is going to be seagate so its the Seagate Tools, it possible that the is a faulty HDD.

Giggle n' Bits 00:15 08 Apr 2004

you will need the Imedia? S/n from rear of case to access the list of Pb patches.

hugh-265156 00:16 08 Apr 2004

thanks very much Kinloss.you must be a mind reader as im just this moment downloading seatools to bring with me tomorrow just in case :-)

there is nothing running in the background,was the first thing i checked.as above it shuts down ok.

ta.

hugh-265156 00:22 08 Apr 2004

thanks again.

sorry i should ahve also said in my above blab that win ME is all up to date with windows updates.

the packard bell site "find my serial number for me" click here im familair with as i have a PB myself and there are no updates patches or drivers listed for this imedia 4600 computer apart from modem but as far as device manager goes it all seem to be tickety boo.

ta.

hugh-265156 00:28 08 Apr 2004

ahve = have

learning to touch type :-)

rabadubdub 01:54 08 Apr 2004

I've recently updated my WinME and seem to be running slower since. Not the first time. I also previously got the IDE-cache shutdown-delay but thought it caused more problems than it solved so removed it.

Kinloss's suggestion is best first choice. Also if a little obvious run Scandisk in Safe Mode, Thorough Scan setting.

Rab

Megatyte 03:09 08 Apr 2004

Check the autoexec.bat file. Scandisk is sometimes called from there, to run on every boot.

AH

temp003 03:17 08 Apr 2004

I think the article suggests that the hard drive cache package should be installed first. This updates the file Ifsmgr.vxd to a newer version.

Then it says you MAY have to do the registry fix for the updated Ifsmgr file to do its job properly.

What you might try, is apply the package first. Restart. Then if ME wants to do scandisk, let it do so, then let Windows load (by which time the file should have been sucessfully updated). Then restart. If it still does the scandisk this time, try the registry fix. Restart (probably twice).

Or if you want to avoid all the restarts, alter the registry straight away after applying the package or after first restart.

Mango Grummit 07:28 08 Apr 2004

Sorry if this is too obvious but have you checked in *Programs >Accessories >System Tools >Scheduled Tasks* to see if scan disk has been set to scan on each startup?

ventanas 08:26 08 Apr 2004

Don't want to sound pessimistic, but I was having exactly the same problem last year. Running ME, Advent PC shut down quite correctly, but when started again always ran Scandisk. Turned out to be the hard drive going down the pan. So I backed up, ditched it, and also ditched ME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?