Windows ME restart problem

phono 22:28 20 Oct 2005

Can anyone suggest why a computer running Windows ME will shut down without a problem but if the option to restart is chosen the computer starts to shut down but then throws up a BSOD with Error number 0E : 0028 : C002F0FD?

The computer then requires a reset and a subsequent scandisk on restarting, the computer is behaving perfectly okay otherwise.

I have done a search on Google for the error number concerned and haven't got a single hit.

phono 00:09 21 Oct 2005

Just trying for an answer.

Jak_1 00:11 21 Oct 2005

Did you close all running progs first?

phono 00:16 21 Oct 2005

Yep, all progs closed, still the same result.

Jak_1 00:26 21 Oct 2005

Try here:

click here

DieSse 01:00 21 Oct 2005

Have a look through these - click here particularly at the ones 0E : 0028 : xxxxxxxx

DieSse 01:03 21 Oct 2005

And these click here

DieSse 01:04 21 Oct 2005

I forgot to mention, it's the module name that comes after the error that gives the most clue as to what's going on.

phono 02:41 21 Oct 2005

Much apprewciated, will check your links out at the earliest possible opportunity.

Regards, Phono.

phono 23:14 21 Oct 2005

I checked out your links and unfortunately they don't apply or work. It is strange that the system shuts down okay and only throws up this error on choosing a restart.

I have deleted temporary files, run checkdisk and defragmented the hard drive, I have also done a scanreg /fix, a full virus and adware/spyware scan, with nothing untoward, and the problem persists.

I even went as far as reinstalling windows over the top of itself and still have the same problem, I suspect that this points to a registry problem as I believe the registry remains intact when this course of action is taken.

It may well be time for a full format and reinstall of Windows.

Has anybody else got any suggestions before I commence this "dreaded" task?

BTW the computer belongs to a friend, I am steering them towards splashing out on Windows XP.

DieSse 20:09 22 Oct 2005

Have you got the module name that the error applies to - this is much more useful than the error code.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?