Windows ME Problem

Poloman69 01:25 22 Nov 2003

We have just bought a new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 80G) and have installed Windows ME on it, and have reinstalled AVG, MS Works & Office etc, but whenever we select

START - Programs

An explorer box comes up with the following message:

"Explorer has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL"
"Explorer will now close"

Then it suggests restarting if it persists, but this does not solve the problem. We dont really want to have to format the hard drive as it is only 1 day old, but all other programmes work fine.

What could be the problem?

Djohn 01:40 22 Nov 2003

This is usually a problem with Internet explorer. Which version of explorer are you using?

Poloman69 02:08 22 Nov 2003

Version 6, but this hasn't caused any problems in the past. Before the new hard drive was installed - all was ok, the drive itself is all ok.

Poloman69 02:12 22 Nov 2003

If we try going through C:/ Start Menu - then try and open any program files - it comes up with this message:

"Explorer has caused an error in SHELL"
"Explorer will now close"

So that way doesn't work either.

Djohn 02:26 22 Nov 2003

I've had another search for you and it stills comes up with the same results, but points to IE 5.5 I've pasted the solution I found for you below, but will advise you wait for further confirmation.j.

===================================

If you receive the error message: Iexplore has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Iexplore will now close, it may be due to a problem with Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows ME. Resolve the error by upgrading to a newer version of Internet Explorer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?