Windows ME and External HD

zemdarin 11:05 08 May 2007

Could somebody please tell me if Windows ME supports an external Hard drive or flash drives. My niece wants to buy something for my brothers birthday and that is the system he has.

Jak_1 11:14 08 May 2007

Yes is the short answer. However she may still only have support for USB1 instead of the faster USB2 but USB2 is backwards compatible but will give a slower speed with USB1 drivers.

zemdarin 11:33 08 May 2007

Thank Jak is it possible to find USB2 drivers that work with ME to speed it up at all. I take it the flash or pen drive isn't so bad with USB1, being a lot smaller.

Jak_1 11:38 08 May 2007

You can download the drivers:
click here

However, the USB sockets will probably be USB1 sockets, so you still would not get the increased speed. You can get a USB2 pci card though and that should come with the drivers.

scotty 12:17 08 May 2007

Other point to note is that ME does not recognise NTFS disc format. The external drive will have to use FAT format (or additional software to allow access to NTFS will be needed).

zemdarin 12:57 08 May 2007

Thank you both for information. Although I have my own Western Digital external HD. I have XP so formatted it with NTFS. Can you format a large 250MB drive with FAT Format. last question. Is ME OK with USB2 Card installed internally. I will then pass information on to my niece.

wee eddie 13:20 08 May 2007

over 40MB.

I don't know if ME has any such restrictions.

scotty 21:29 09 May 2007

I use an internal (PCI) USB2 card on my ME machine.

Here is a quote from click here :

FAT32

In order to overcome the volume size limit of FAT16, while still allowing DOS real-mode code to handle the format without unnecessarily reducing the available conventional memory, Microsoft decided to implement a newer generation of FAT, known as FAT32, with cluster counts held in a 32-bit field, of which 28 bits are currently used.

In theory, this should support a total of approximately 268,435,456 (228) clusters, allowing for drive sizes in the range of 8 tebibytes with 32K clusters. On Windows 95/98, due to the version of Microsoft's ScanDisk utility included with these operating systems being a 16-bit application, the FAT structure is not allowed to grow beyond 4,177,920 (< 222) clusters, placing the volume limit at 127.53 gigabytes.[4]. A limitation in original versions of Windows 98/98SE's Fdisk causes it to incorrectly report disk sizes over 64GB.[5] A corrected version is available from Microsoft. These limitations do not apply to Windows 2000/XP except during Setup, in which there is a 32GB limit.[6] Windows ME supports the FAT32 file system without any limits.[7]

zemdarin 23:09 09 May 2007

Thank you for that information scotty. I think it means he can use an external drives but not absolutely 100 percent sure. The good thing is I will be able to put a USB2 PCI card in his computer if he has enough space, when I visit him this year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?