Windows ME CD

mikeben121 22:50 20 May 2007

A friend has an old Sony Vaio laptop which was supplied with Windows ME. I think with 64MB RAM it would have been sloooow. Then some muppet put XP on there. The disc never stops paging!

Anyone know of somewhere to get a Windows ME disc (the activation key is on the machine). (Same muppet lost the discs!)

Forum Editor 23:03 20 May 2007

just put in some more RAM?

Win XP is a far better operating system.

Totally-braindead 23:10 20 May 2007

FE has a good idea their depending on what it costs XP is an excellent operating system. But the processor would have to be a reasonable speed.

Alternatively Ebay for the Windows ME or try here click here

mikeben121 23:10 20 May 2007

basically money. It was my intention to look at more RAM as well but I can't remember the minimum for XP. Also only has a 10GB HDD so keeping the OS footprint low is important.

Anyhow its a challenge!

mikeben121 23:12 20 May 2007

Totally-braindead - I guess since its a legit copy I don't need to be too worried about the legitimacy of the CD. In fact I am fairly certain the XP isn't legal which is another reason to restore ME.

woodchip 23:13 20 May 2007

The Hard Drive is the Problem it's too slow, it will be a 4200 rpm only, more ram would help but it needs a 7200 rpm drive to get the most from the setup you have

Totally-braindead 23:18 20 May 2007

mikeben121 as long as you have the original windows code which should be stuck on the PC then any ME disk will do, you could even get a copy and just use the proper licence code but you will probably need to get the proper computer drivers for ME.
Don't know anyone that has ME and I personally hated it, I thought Win98 SE was far more stable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?