Windows ME

pk46 15:15 02 Jun 2007

Is there a site where you can download the final release of updates for WME the only ones i can find are for W98 strange all the updates are for W98 and not WME i know it wasn't a popular OS but still.

rabadubdub 15:55 02 Jun 2007

All I can suggest is that you start from Windows download page here:
click here
as Microsoft no longer support 98 or ME. Strangely you can get a complete package for updating W2000 - now SP4 and hotfixes Rollup1 v2 for that but haven't been able to find the equivalent for ME.
W2000 is due to lose support in the next few months too, but I see no reason for a company that makes approaching a $bn a day not to leave a update rollup package available on its server for folk that can't afford to upgrade every time MS want to introduce another 'incomplete' new system without completly fixing the inherent faults in the previous faults.
Can you imagine a garage selling you a car that needs missing bits added constantly turning round and saying "I can't be bothered fixing my own handiwork anymore, but I'll sell you a new one that guzzles more gas and will need bits updated constantly, too!" A bargain.
Good luck.

Rab

pk46 21:11 02 Jun 2007

Microsoft stated they would support W2000 WXP for ten years so that should give W2000 support till 2010 WXP till 2011 this could be hype by Microsoft we will see,after all there is only a year apart between W2000 and XP.

rabadubdub 21:53 02 Jun 2007

I just took the time to go through all 620 entries on the above pages.. only about 20 of them actually apply to Millennium, about 550 apply to Win2000.. and a considerable number are repetitions - this is all under the heading downloads for Millennium Edition.
Someone playing games?
I still maintain that it would not be a problem to provide a couple of Service Pack downloads - that's all it would take, one for the OS in general and one for Security vulnerabilities - even if they do no further updates, which is understandable.
The fact is they have NEVER provided a consolidated download (Service Pack) for Millennium even during its Product Lifecycle, for some reason. You could only ever update, by using live update, in a piecemeal fashion.
Still, I suppose I'll never play for Celtic now, either:>

Rab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?