Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 200

ianeon 11:05 14 Jun 2009

I ran this tool when it came out and was surprised to discover that I had the following infection, and that it could not be removed - Trojan Spy: Win32/Bancos.Gen!A - I ran my other anti spyware programme tools and my anti virus program. None of them could find this infection - I Googled it and investigated with no result - Am I safe to assume that this is a "false positive"? - any advice gratefully received - Thank you

MAT ALAN 11:22 14 Jun 2009

click here

"false positive"? i would say not

click here

birdface 11:29 14 Jun 2009

use the free version .Update then run it.

click here

birdface 11:30 14 Jun 2009

What anti-virus and anti-spyware tools do you have.

birdface 12:16 14 Jun 2009

I must admit this is a first for me.I have no recollection of anyone ever coming on here and telling us that Microsoft Malware removal Tool has actually found anything.
I can only assume that you may have more problems on your computer and a scan with Malwarebytes is recommended.
It is always well worth running it just for peace of mind and it has been modified to catch some of the latest problems.
I must admit I was seriously thinking of removing it as it never ever found anything,But since it has been modified to catch some of the latest Spyware I have decided to keep using it.

ianeon 13:11 14 Jun 2009

On such a beautiful Sunday morning I didn't expect such prompt replies to my query - lol.
I use the the following:
Norton Internet Security 2009;
Spybot;
Spyware Blaster;
SuperAntispyware;
Malwarebytes;
A-Squared;
Loaris Trojan Remover;
Dr Web.
I also ran online checks with Trend and a couple of other programmes.
Thank you for your interest in my problem.

birdface 13:25 14 Jun 2009

Wow can't fault your security programs.You would have thought that one of those would have found any problems.I can see why you think it is a false positive.
It could not be removed is there any way that they could have quarantined it.I would not have a clue as where to look for anything like that.

hiwatt 13:46 14 Jun 2009

The windows malicious software removal tool creates a report named mrt.log in the %WINDIR%\debug folder.You can also run the tool manually by clicking on start/run and typing MRT and enter to see if it's still there.Maybe try running it again in safe mode?

ianeon 19:03 15 Jun 2009

I now have a copy of the log of the last scan - can anyone interpretate the results for me - Thank you.
ws Malicious Software Removal Tool v2.11, June 2009
Started On Mon Jun 15 18:03:15 2009

Extended Scan Results
----------------
->Scan ERROR: resource file://C:\pagefile.sys (code 0x00000020 (32))
->Scan ERROR: resource file://C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Norton\QBackup\index.qbs (code 0x00000020 (32))
Found potential malware: TrojanSpy:Win32/Bancos.gen!A in file://C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Desktop\Maintain\PortASCPRO323.update.softarchive.net.rar->Advanced SystemCare.exe
-> Sysclean ERROR: Internal error, code = 8050800F

Results Summary:
----------------
Found TrojanSpy:Win32/Bancos.gen!A (detected generically)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?