Windows Mail

Mabinogion 13:41 10 Jul 2007

Hi
I have been trying to get my friends new laptop working ok regarding sending email as she is on Vista and using the windows mail and I am on XP using Outlook Express, I tried to configure her w/mail using the SMTP on and off but I am just not receiving anything from her at all so we phoned a friend and asked them to see if they had received an email from us which they did and to send us one back so all was working as far we were concerned so I went home thinking we had sorted it all out so switched on my pc to look for test emails we had sent to myself but nothing again, so what do you think is the problem ~ she is on sky.com and I am on Orange (which was Freeserve then Wanadoo)
I have checked there is nothing blocked etc and other emails I have received ok.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks

uesquebeathus 17:32 10 Jul 2007

some versions of outlook/outlook express do not work in Vista
all office 2003 and all earlier products will have problems of varying degrees. and microsoft have no intension's of doing anything about them.

engsurv 19:01 10 Jul 2007

uesquebeathus.
You are not completely correct.
I have Vista,office 2003 and use outlook 2003 and have no problems whatsoever!

tobyb121 19:11 10 Jul 2007

I believe with certain outlook 2003 you will have trouble trying to connect to an outlook 2007 exchange server, though thats understandable I suppose.
Mabinogion, did this friend use vista of xp/outlook 2003, and provider do they use

Mabinogion 00:03 14 Jul 2007

Hi
Sorry for the delay in answering but in answer to your question my friend is using Vista and Windows Mail which was on her pc when she bought it and using sky.com as her ISP and I am using XP and Office 2000 and on Orange which was Wanadoo etc, we have tried all ways now but I still cannot receive any mail from her at all, yet she sends and receives to everyone else, so I phoned another friend who is on sky.com and asked her to send me an email and guess what? I cannot receive from her either so 'why can't I receive emails from a sky.com server?' so you think? I asked them both to send emails to webmail addresses but I only had a reply to an fsmail.net address and didn't receive one on a yahoo.com address either so getting fed up now trying to find out how to sort it out.
Any ideas?
Thanks

tobyb121 23:32 14 Jul 2007

It seems then that it is your email account that is the problem, and not their's, it may be time for a friendly call to orange.

Mabinogion 00:07 15 Jul 2007

Hi thanks again, I did this today 'phone Orange' and the lady I spoke to said she couldn't see why I was not receiveing any mail from sky.com and she said there wasn't an issue with them but asked me to their other department who would talk me through creating a new profile for O/Express but I told her I could do this myself as I didn't want to spend more time on the phone especially when having to pay for them as they are 0870........... numbers as you most probably know, so I have not done this yet as I haven't had time today but will try later.
If in the meantime you find out any more I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks again
Mabinogion

bruno 09:16 15 Jul 2007

Perhaps they are being treated as junk mail on your PC.I have just started using Windows Live Mail after having problems with O/E,and I get a lot of mail sent to the junk folder which should not be there.There is a learning process involved for the PC.Perhaps you have a security setting somewhere stopping her messages getting through.

Mabinogion 01:51 25 Nov 2007

Sorry for the delay in answering the replies but managed to sort out my friend's email, apparently sky.com have emailed her and told her she has to changed her settings and go through their webpage/login section to access her emails from now on as that's the new thing now with sky.com to be able to access your emails (god forbid) a bit like aol, anyway she gets her emails now and can send but only going through their log in page and not through windows mail, but another friend of mine has said she has to do the same being with sky.com as there has been some changes with them and their email programme.
Thanks again.

bruno 20:47 01 Dec 2007

I get my e mails from Sky going through Windows Live Mail, both sending and receiving.In fact it is my default e mail, although I also use Hotmail, Metronet and G mail.
My settings are...Pop3...pop.tools.sky.com...smtp.tools.sky.com

Tom154 15:50 06 Aug 2008

Hello, hope you don't mind me joining in but I seem to have the same problem. I just bought a laptop with vista and windows mail loaded. I set up the windows mail as my default (I am also with orange) and I can send emails from it but it will not download them. I keep getting the message

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Orange ', Server: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I can still check my emails on the orange sign in page but it's so un-user friendly. Anyone any ideas. Ta Tom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?