Windows Live Toolbar and IE7

pppc 21:03 30 Jul 2007

I am using Windows XP SP2 and currently Mozilla Firefox as my default broswer.

I recently downloaded the Windows Live Toolbar from the link in the July 13 MS Update email and installed it, with a view to going back to using IE7 as my browser.

Every attempt to open Internet Explorer presents me with a page head 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage' and suggested causes. I have checked my connection. I have tried a number of URLs

Anyone got any ideas???

PeterC

birdface 23:07 30 Jul 2007

Try ,Control Panel, Internet Options.Programs.And halfway down ,Make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser.Apply, Ok.

pppc 08:35 31 Jul 2007

Buteman

Thanks for response but making IE default browser has no effect - IE is still unusable. And I don't know how to uninstall the Live Toolbar.

PC

birdface 08:37 31 Jul 2007

Can you not uninstall it from Add Remove.Or Maybe C Cleaner.

pppc 11:04 31 Jul 2007

Tried Add/Remove. It genberated an error which I was invited to report to Microsoft - I did so. Went on to remove Live Toolbar, but IE still unable to open any pages.

What is 'C Cleaner' - I don't recognise it???

VoG II 11:06 31 Jul 2007
  rdave13 11:36 31 Jul 2007

Try ,in IE, tools- internet options- advanced tab and click the reset tab. Close the browser and reopen.

pppc 14:00 01 Aug 2007

Hi again.

I tried all the suggestions - rsetting IE, C Cleaner, etc., without any joy. Rolled back to a System Restore BEFORE installing the Live ToolBar - and IE7 was still unable to open any pages!!

So I re-installed IE7 (the installation program automatically clears the old version) and I now have a working IE7 again.

Many thanks to all for trying to help.

Before I mark this RESOLVED, can I ask advice. Is IE7 a better/safer brwser than Firefox. Is it worth attempting to add the Live Toolbar, and if so will that affect the the answer to the previous question?

PeterC

rdave13 23:56 01 Aug 2007

Ok. IE7, I think, is the best Windows browser yet. Safer than Firefox is debatable. I use Opera and IE7.
Try Live toolbar again? Why not.

pppc 18:02 17 Mar 2008

a

pppc 18:03 17 Mar 2008

aa

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?