Windows Live OneCare

freaky 13:40 06 Mar 2010

Have been using this for the past few years on 3 PC's using Windows XP. Find it very good.
Have just been informed by Microsoft that it is no longer available once my subscription expires next month.

Am looking for a suitable alternative as a replacement for the 3 PC's that are networked together. I am currently paying Microsoft approx' £37 per annum.

Live OneCare is a complete security system that also includes a regular backup system.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

northumbria61 14:06 06 Mar 2010

Microsoft Security Essentials good replacement.

click here

northumbria61 14:16 06 Mar 2010

This is Microsofts RECOMMENDED replacement - it is FREE but it doesn't offer backup - you will have to use 3rd party software for that.

click here

Input Overload 14:56 06 Mar 2010

I have MS Essentials on two laptops & I think it's excellent. If you have a read around you will find very good reviews on MS Essentials.

freaky 20:04 06 Mar 2010

Thanks for the replies......I'm using Virgin Broadband and they offer PC Guard free.....is it any good?

northumbria61 23:08 06 Mar 2010

Maybe you should read this first - it may help you decide.

click here

SirMetal 04:55 07 Mar 2010

I dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Mint. Now although Linux doesn't need Antivirus, choosing the right one for windows can often be a tricky task. I've tried dozens and the best three in my opinion are:

Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast! Home Edition
AVG Free

Feel free to use any of the suggested programs as they are all free! If you want my PERSONAL opinion on what I think you should do however, then I think you should go with Microsoft Security Essentials. It does what you need, by itself. Auto updates, auto scanning, AND, it's non intrusive!

freaky 11:51 07 Mar 2010

Regarding Microsoft Esseantials......does it include a Firewall to replace the one supplied with XP, as the one with XP only gives one-way protection? Windows Live OneCare included a replacement Firewall. Can't see any mention of this on the links.

Sea Urchin 12:46 07 Mar 2010

No it doesn't include a firewall, but will work with a separate firewall such as Comodo.

Some FAQs about MSE

click here

Also you will need to carefully uninstall Windows Live Onecare before installing MSE. Here is a cleanup tool for Live OneCare

click here

freaky 13:06 07 Mar 2010

Thanks Sea Urchin.....will probably use Microsoft Essentials! I have another month to go before WLOC expires but would like to find a Firewall to replace the XP default version in the meantime. Is Comodo free?

northumbria61 13:30 07 Mar 2010

Comodo - FREE

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017