Windows Live OneCare

freaky 13:40 06 Mar 2010

Have been using this for the past few years on 3 PC's using Windows XP. Find it very good.
Have just been informed by Microsoft that it is no longer available once my subscription expires next month.

Am looking for a suitable alternative as a replacement for the 3 PC's that are networked together. I am currently paying Microsoft approx' £37 per annum.

Live OneCare is a complete security system that also includes a regular backup system.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

northumbria61 14:06 06 Mar 2010

Microsoft Security Essentials good replacement.

click here

northumbria61 14:16 06 Mar 2010

This is Microsofts RECOMMENDED replacement - it is FREE but it doesn't offer backup - you will have to use 3rd party software for that.

click here

Input Overload 14:56 06 Mar 2010

I have MS Essentials on two laptops & I think it's excellent. If you have a read around you will find very good reviews on MS Essentials.

freaky 20:04 06 Mar 2010

Thanks for the replies......I'm using Virgin Broadband and they offer PC Guard free.....is it any good?

northumbria61 23:08 06 Mar 2010

Maybe you should read this first - it may help you decide.

click here

SirMetal 04:55 07 Mar 2010

I dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Mint. Now although Linux doesn't need Antivirus, choosing the right one for windows can often be a tricky task. I've tried dozens and the best three in my opinion are:

Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast! Home Edition
AVG Free

Feel free to use any of the suggested programs as they are all free! If you want my PERSONAL opinion on what I think you should do however, then I think you should go with Microsoft Security Essentials. It does what you need, by itself. Auto updates, auto scanning, AND, it's non intrusive!

freaky 11:51 07 Mar 2010

Regarding Microsoft Esseantials......does it include a Firewall to replace the one supplied with XP, as the one with XP only gives one-way protection? Windows Live OneCare included a replacement Firewall. Can't see any mention of this on the links.

Sea Urchin 12:46 07 Mar 2010

No it doesn't include a firewall, but will work with a separate firewall such as Comodo.

Some FAQs about MSE

click here

Also you will need to carefully uninstall Windows Live Onecare before installing MSE. Here is a cleanup tool for Live OneCare

click here

freaky 13:06 07 Mar 2010

Thanks Sea Urchin.....will probably use Microsoft Essentials! I have another month to go before WLOC expires but would like to find a Firewall to replace the XP default version in the meantime. Is Comodo free?

northumbria61 13:30 07 Mar 2010

Comodo - FREE

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?