Windows Live Messenger Wont Load...new pc

cheerup347 09:10 05 Jan 2007

hi,

i jut got a band new computer and installed windows live messenger on it. but when i restated y computer and tried to load it i get this message...

'Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed'

how do i get it to work?

thanks

brundle 09:36 05 Jan 2007

Was it installed from CD or downloaded?

cheerup347 09:39 05 Jan 2007

it was downloaded...i cant ninstall it or repair it..their are a few files called msncall and something else which can be accessed.

is their a way i can just get rid of it?

brundle 09:44 05 Jan 2007

Even bearing in mind it's a new PC it seems your error message can be related to faulty media, or problems with drive setup though I'm sure there are other reasons.

Go to Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt
type

chkdsk c:

press return

to make XP check the HD for problems

Clear out temporary files; click here

Also do any MS updates and a complete scan with your (up-to-date) AV and any antispyware software.

cheerup347 09:45 05 Jan 2007

EDIT

it was downloaded...i cant uninstall it or repair it..their are a few files called msncall and something else which CANT be accessed.

the exact error is:

The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file:
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msncall

does anyone know how i can either get windows messenger to re-install or to remove it please?

thanks

brundle 09:47 05 Jan 2007

Are you using an administrator account or a Limited account?

brundle 09:49 05 Jan 2007

Can't find that file in my MSN Messenger folder - I'm using 8.something or other beta, the latest one

cheerup347 09:52 05 Jan 2007

I've ran chkdsk and ccleaner with no problems at all.

I'm using the only account on this computer so yes its the administrator account.

i fear i will have to re-format the hard drive and start again...but i never had this problem on my old computer.

brundle 09:54 05 Jan 2007

Just to clarify, even though I don't have the file it is indeed part of Messenger, tho this site doesn't say which version(s); click here

Try downloading the latest one again in case something corrupted the file; click here

cheerup347 10:29 05 Jan 2007

i sorted the problem...it was clashing with norton internet security....ive got rid of it, it caused nothing but trouble and im going to buy mcafee.

brundle 10:30 05 Jan 2007

Glad you're sorted, thanks for getting back with the solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?